Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear End Fluid Change - Difficult? DIY Guys Please Chime In

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:14 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear End Fluid Change - Difficult? DIY Guys Please Chime In

What's involved in changing this fluid in the pumpkin? Any special tools or materials needed? Does the cover need to be removed?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear End Fluid Change - Difficult? DIY Guys Please Chime In

Yes the cover needs to be removed and it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the cover with a girdle if you ever drag race. Even if you don't, it will allow you to change the fluid without removing the cover next time. LPW makes a girdle for our cars as well as ford racing.

You'll need some grey rtv sealant.
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...sket_Maker.htm

Or you can purchase a gasket for the ford 8.8 like I did ( the frpp girdle comes with a gasket, but I wanted something bullet proof.) This is the one i'm using.

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalo...ehjrda3r7ak2v5

Warning! Gear oil is nasty, slimy, stinky stuff. You'll also need a bottle of friction modifier from your ford parts department, cost $5.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Be sure to stay with a synthetic 75W140 gear lube, and yes, use the friction modifier regardless of what the gear oil company says - you need it.

I found an upgraded rear end gasket, I think it's called Lube Locker. A little pricey, but it can be used over and over and it hasn't leaked a drop. That RTV stuff is a pain. Read your owners manual too, it tells you how much lube to put in, you don't fill it until it runs out like you used to .
Old 02-23-2008, 08:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

Be sure to stay with a synthetic 75W140 gear lube, and yes, use the friction modifier regardless of what the gear oil company says - you need it.

I found an upgraded rear end gasket, I think it's called Lube Locker. A little pricey, but it can be used over and over and it hasn't leaked a drop. That RTV stuff is a pain. Read your owners manual too, it tells you how much lube to put in, you don't fill it until it runs out like you used to .
See my link in my post above.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

See my link in my post above.

BINGO! Same one I used. Neat part.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Get a syringe <sp> and some clear tubing, so you dont even have to take the diff cover off. This is how they do it at the dealerships, and quick lube places. Refill with what fluid you want to use.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys! So if I go with Royal Purple, I still need to add the friction modifier even though they say it is not necessary?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:49 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wasvette

So if I go with Royal Purple, I still need to add the friction modifier even though they say it is not necessary?
Yes! You can try it without the modifier, but mine made a lot of noise on slow turns. I used royal purple.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I would not do it this way (the syringe). It's better to be able to wipe out the bottom of the housing with paper towls and get any "garbage" there before you refill with fresh lube.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Alloy07

Anyone have instructions on how to do this? Also besides oil spilling out is there any danger of parts (gears) falling out or anything? Sorry I just have never been this involved with a car, trying to learn

Quick Reply: Rear End Fluid Change - Difficult? DIY Guys Please Chime In