Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

OK, What's wrong with my tranny?! Update.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default OK, What's wrong with my tranny?! Update.

Had the stock T/C put back in, the pan dropped, and the fluid changed to Amsoil. Coming home I made a relatively strong right hand turn with my foot off the gas(coming to a light) and the tranny seemed to "slip out of gear" When I stopped i had no drive, reverse, nothing, it was like the car was in neutral. I shut it off, restarted, and it was fine.

I checked it again with a strong right hand turn and it did it again, but this time it "slipped back in" to gear after a split second or so. Could a low tranny fluid level cause this? They put 9 qts in, plus the T/C was just about filled when it was installed (maybe 1-2 qts in there). The manual calls for 12 qts. Thanks.

OK, just got back from the shop. The tranny took 2 1/2 more qts! Must have been air bound on initial fill. All is well now. Just FYI if anyone else experiences this problem.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM
GRABBER CS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: OK, What's wrong with my tranny?!

If they didnt run it thru the gears then check the fluid level, it might be low. This can always cause problems. Check the fluid level and add if its low.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'm bringing it in on Fri. They'll just have to try to add more fluid since there's no other way to "check" it.....Damn Ford! I thought maybe there's air in the tranny, perhaps I need to disconnct the line from the tranny cooler, since that is higher than the tranny itself. It's really bugging me.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

TTT to update.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Rob - Glad it was an easy fix for you

See u @ Captree Sunday?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Me and the fam maygo to breakfast with some friends, if not, I'll get there. How's the weather looking?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

Weather is lookin nice tomorrow, I'll be down....question though, why did you put the stock TC back in?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:02 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I justcouldn't get used to driving a car with a 'loose' converter around town. Mine only had about a 2800-3000 stall and it still sounds like the car is revving all the time. One of the other complaints I have is most aftermarket converters will not 'hold the lock' well at highway speeds.

For example, when you're ruising at 60 mph or higher, you should, with the stock converter, be able to lean into the throttle somewhat and the converter will stay locked and the engine torque should just pull youup to speed without fuss. With my aftermarket converter, just a touch of the throttle causes the thing to unlock, the engine revs go up and you sound like you're racing all the time. I find this not only unecessary, but annoying too. I spoke with Jim JR at JDM, he has a TCI converter, and he told me his does the same thing. Most aftermarket converters are single disc and just can't hold the lock like the OEM one. Perhaps the PI multi disc unit will not do this but I'm not going to spend another $900 plus install to find out.

Yes, performancedid improve. I couldn't launch, in this cold weather, at more than 35-40% throttle or my tires just spin. My friend, who also owns a GT, drove my car and he said it feels like my rear tires are on ice, and he's correct. It's very easy to break the rear loose with my setup. But I would rather give up 3 or 4 10th's in the 1/4 mile in order to have a more civilized DD.

On the way home from the shop I knew I did the right thing for me. You can really appreciate the engine torque now.