Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

brenspeed saleen stages

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default brenspeed saleen stages

are those WHP numbers or crank numbers on those kits? I read that hp should be limited to
about 450-480whp tops on the stock motor.If both stages are crank hp numbers would it be
safe to get the stage 3 (500hp) on a stock motor? or maybe even a stage 4 with room for
growth? thought about the paxton but want all that low end torque off the line.
(auto)

owners of these kits feel free to chime in! 1/4 times would also be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: brenspeed saleen stages

If you click on them it says in the descriptions "flywheel horsepower."
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol my bad.

in that case I am thinking the stage 3 should be fine til internals?

Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.. Those numbers are a little low.. I have the stage 2 + the Saleen Extreme inlet tube, and I'm making511 at the crank, assuming a modest 15% drivetrain loss. Also, that was at a .97 SAE correction factor on the dyno that day, so I ACTUALLY made ~528 crank horsepower that day.

To be honest, it's a little high for my comfort level on the stock internals, but there's not much I can do about it now. I'm planning on forging sometime in the next year or two anyway, so I'll just take it easy until then.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

And you have an Auto too, so your transmission will go even before the engine internals!

I'd say you should be fine w/ the stage 2, but you shouldn't go higher!
Old 03-01-2008, 06:41 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

If you want track times, my best with stock tires, gears (3.55's), and suspension it 12.9 @ 117 and I smoked the tires in first and second my 60ft was over 2.1 seconds. The new LCA's and line lock are sitting in the living room and I should have rims and DRs in the next month or so, I am figuring high 11's maybe high mid 11's. But the transmission thing even if you have a stick install a new clutch/flywheel combo before the SC because it will save you some $$ on the back end, in order to change the clutch with a Saleen SC they need to drop the motor which adds some additional cost.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Saleen#468
2nd Gear Member

why would they need to drop the motor with the saleen supercharger?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Now first of all I am not a auto tech, but when I took the car to the dealership to have the throwout bearing replaced I spoke with the tech afterwards and he said he had to drop the motor in order to tilt it back towards the firewall far enough to remove the transmission, with the Saleen SC the SC almost butts up against the firewall. And I have also been told by a few people on this forum about this problem and was also told this by the guys that installed the SC, now some techs may know of a way to remove the transmission without having to do this, but I have not come across one. That was one of the reasons I replaced the clutch before the SC install, the other being that the stock clutch would never hold with the torque/rwhp I am making, and I also go to the track 2-3 times a month during race season.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

I still think it's all in the boost level and tune rather than just RW or crank HP numbers. Don't go over 10psi and have a reputable tuner (like Brenspeed) and you should be fine! If I still had my GT, I was considering the stage 3 kit. It was a toss up between that and the Whipple. The Whipple had the edge due to the SC look.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Saleen#468
2nd Gear Member

im going to have to look into that. im about to pull the trigger on the stage 2 kit and ive got 21k on my stock clutch.

Quick Reply: brenspeed saleen stages