Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

SC'S

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Default SC'S

Fellow Fans,
Old subject. I'm seriously considering a Supercharger. I've read a bunch of threads in the forum and I understand the pro's and con's. I'm not looking to take out it to the drag strip every weekend but I want the extra power. So far I've lowered the car with Steeda Ultralights and I have a CI CAI and Diablo tune. I just want more power purely for the fun of driving it. I used to do a lot of SCCA racing in heavily modified cars so I know how to handle the power.
I'm leaning more towards the Roush charger just because of the warranty. My car is an 06 with about 27,000 miles on it. I would probably get the extended warranty also when I hit 36,000. Unless I'm mistaken the Saleen sc is not Ford warrantied correct?? Obviously all the other brands are not. Also, 100 hp for $7,000 installed is pretty expensive. I guess I'm not really asking any specific questions I just wanted everyone's thoughts. The Ford warranty is heavily on my mind. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SC'S

ORIGINAL: Beast

Fellow Fans,
Old subject. I'm seriously considering a Supercharger. I've read a bunch of threads in the forum and I understand the pro's and con's. I'm not looking to take out it to the drag strip every weekend but I want the extra power. So far I've lowered the car with Steeda Ultralights and I have a CI CAI and Diablo tune. I just want more power purely for the fun of driving it. I used to do a lot of SCCA racing in heavily modified cars so I know how to handle the power.
I'm leaning more towards the Roush charger just because of the warranty. My car is an 06 with about 27,000 miles on it. I would probably get the extended warranty also when I hit 36,000. Unless I'm mistaken the Saleen sc is not Ford warrantied correct?? Obviously all the other brands are not. Also, 100 hp for $7,000 installed is pretty expensive. I guess I'm not really asking any specific questions I just wanted everyone's thoughts. The Ford warranty is heavily on my mind. Thoughts?
Roush only picks up the remainder of the ford factory warranty, with no additional (extended) coverage available. Also, the roush is severely limited when it comes to power potential. If you're concerned about your warranty, then a supercharger is not the mod for you, as even if you did go with the roush, you would still only have 9K miles of warranty left. My recommendation is to wait out the warranty and buy a twin screw. (Whipple is my choice, but saleen and kennebell make nice units as well.) I don't have anything against roots superchargers if you are dead set on getting one, but you will never be able to make the numbers you can make with a built motor and a twin screw. Also, whipple and kenne bell have significantly more boost potential than the saleen if you decide to go twin screw. If your main concern is the drag strip, then I would go a completely different route and buy a centrifugal unit (procharger being my favorite centri, but vortech and paxton make popular kits as well).
Old 03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I know Roush just warranties theSC itself but Ford would still have its drivetrain warranty. If I throw a rod or pop a seal than Ford has to cover it. Once I hit 36000 I can add the Ford extended drivetrain warranty which should still protect the engine itself even with the SC. I will double check all of this with Ford first of course.
I'm not really looking for 500 hp or anything just the 100 or so thata Roush or something else would add. Since it's not a racing thing but just a power thing I think the addition would satisfy me. Thanks again!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

No, Ford won't have ANY drivetrain warranty. Roush will pick up the balance of the drivetrain warranty, and even then, I believe it's limited to $5000 or something. Read the fine print on it.

FYI, you can get a similar deal with the Saleen if you have it installed at a Speedlab..
Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Beast
1st Gear Member

Wow, thanks. So Ford stops at 36k no matter what? I thought Roush only covered the sc itself and only for one year? When you say speedlab where are they located? That's another thing that concerns me. I live in B'ham Alabama and have no idea what speed shops are good enough for this type of install. Town and Country Ford here says they install 2 or 3 Roush's a month and have very qualified guys doing the work. This is the kind of info I need and thanks.