Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Need some help with a throttle body install....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need some help with a throttle body install....

I had a BBK 62mm myself and I didn't have any problems until after 10k miles. I would honestly get rid of it because you WILL have nothing but problems with it. When I had mine on I had a 50% chance of getting a check engine light when I mashed on the pedal. I would have to turn off the car in motion and then restart it in order to get rid of the check engine light. Just some food for thought. Also if you have any other questions on what to buy research this site before you buy anything. These guys won't steer you wrong and it's possible you might get a better deal on what you are looking for because some of retail store employees are on this site.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Seriously if you want a TB then get the GT500 TB from JDM...its works just fine. No TB on the setup you have currently have will get you much of anything. Just save the 400 and get stuff that is worth it

CAI/tune
UDPs
new midpipe
CMCV
mufflers
etc

there are so many proven products out there. Just bite the bullet on this and wait till later
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Hahaha......I love you guys; I really do. I've been coming to this forum for advice long before I joined. Just for arguments sake: I did get it to work; it just didn't like my tuner. I have a SuperChips tuner, and recently sold it and got a Diablo. As it turns out, the Diablo I got is some special Steeda edition that only works with Steeda parts, so I did find a Steeda CAI on eBay which I should be getting this week. When I slap it on, I am going to put the TB on and see how it reacts to that tuner and see if I get any better luck.

It's not that I think I know something you guys don't so much as the fact that it worked for 15 minutes and my car ran awesome. That, and I'm a hard-headed, stubborn bastard......lol. Reall, I need to get over this old-school 5.0 mentality I have and realize those days are gone..... Well, not really.........I still got my 347 stroked Mustang coupe for when I wanna play!

I refuse to believe that this car has been out on the market for almost 4 years and with all the popularity it has, that not one manufacturer has been able to succesfully make a TB for it. It blows my mind. Yea, the GT500 TB.......$350 plus a $150 adaptor. HA! Now THAT is not worth the money.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Black Diamond makes a 1600 CFM throttle body that kicks butt but you don't need it unless you are forced induction.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Fool4Parts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rugedraw

Hahaha......I love you guys; I really do. I've been coming to this forum for advice long before I joined. Just for arguments sake: I did get it to work; it just didn't like my tuner. I have a SuperChips tuner, and recently sold it and got a Diablo. As it turns out, the Diablo I got is some special Steeda edition that only works with Steeda parts, so I did find a Steeda CAI on eBay which I should be getting this week. When I slap it on, I am going to put the TB on and see how it reacts to that tuner and see if I get any better luck.

It's not that I think I know something you guys don't so much as the fact that it worked for 15 minutes and my car ran awesome. That, and I'm a hard-headed, stubborn bastard......lol. Reall, I need to get over this old-school 5.0 mentality I have and realize those days are gone..... Well, not really.........I still got my 347 stroked Mustang coupe for when I wanna play!

I refuse to believe that this car has been out on the market for almost 4 years and with all the popularity it has, that not one manufacturer has been able to succesfully make a TB for it. It blows my mind. Yea, the GT500 TB.......$350 plus a $150 adaptor. HA! Now THAT is not worth the money.

The $350 for the GT 500 TB includes the adaptor, at least mine did. It is a very simple bolt on (no spring to wind up) and it rocks.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

You might like the fact that the BBK brand simply does not work but it is the truth. I had idle problems with mine as well as the fore mentioned problems. Believe me from first hand experience "get rid off it." Besides you don't need one until you start going over 500 horses or so.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BFMacias

You might like the fact that the BBK brand simply does not work but it is the truth. I had idle problems with mine as well as the fore mentioned problems. Believe me from first hand experience "get rid off it." Besides you don't need one until you start going over 500 horses or so.
Well the BBK looks sweet too..

OP... What TB is this anyways, and why do you keep thinking that no on makes a TB that works on these cars. I can think of 2 off hand. Anyways, what TB did you buy???
Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 AM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: nightrider06

[quote]ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Your descriptions are totally wrong here. There is no way for your throttle body valves to be open when the engine is off and then closed when the engine is on. There are stops on the right side assembly to not allow for this.

Your spring IS NOT loaded properly and possibly a bad TPS now.

Either way, I would pop off the spring cap, unwind it and then rewind it. I bet after that you'll be good there, it will stay closed all the time. Now if the wrench pops up on the cluster, swing by ford with $100 bucks and get a new TPS...

Best of luck to you.

By the way, if you turn the ignition to on, with the engine off and give it gas, the throttle body WILL open and close. After I would turn the car on, it stopped responding to the gas pedal due to the sensitive fly-by-wire system on these cars. I even removed the inlet hose from the TB, and got a screwdriver and tried to force it open. I felt like I was going to damage the electric motor on the TCM, so I stopped, but it was shut tight. If I would cut off the engine, but leave the ignition on, you could hear and see it opening and closing. Weird........
Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

FYI: Just put in my Steeda CAI and Diablo tune for it.........WOW. Let's just say I need some suspension work now to control that wheel-hop. Got my UAC; but I'll wait until I buy my lowers to put them in together.

I'll be sure to come back to this and let you all know what happens when I get another TB. Like I said; I've seen a BBK on an '06 GT working perfectly.........I want it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

When you start getting idling problems and your car starts throwing codes it WILL be coming from you TB especially if it is a BBK 62mm. I am just being honest man. However I hope I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Need some help with a throttle body install....