Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 GT Seeking 500+HP For Son's War Pony!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 GT Seeking 500+HP For Son's War Pony!!!!

Remove Steeda, Roush, and Shelby. Steeda and Shelby just repackage other peoples stuff so it will cost more for nothing extra. Roush is a Roots blower and is very ineffiecient and not sized properly. The blower might make 500 crank hp but that is all it will have in it. The rest of those look good.

To start just decide whether you want centrifugal, belt driven turbo - as rpms rise so does boost,or twin screw which is like driving a big block. Lots of power everywhere, from idle to redline.

Once you have that we can help you narrow it down.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Proud Marine Parent

Yeah As I Read On I Seem To Be Heading For The Twin Screw Whipple HO System!! This Is The One That Seems To Offer What We Want And Then We Should Be Able To Increase If Need Be With Lower End Mods. This Should Be Something That We Can Countinuously Build Around And Never Run Out Of Power!!! I Am Also Comparing The Procharger System And The Saleen System!! The Saleen Might Have A Price Edge My Bro's Brother In-Law Works For Them!! But I Haven't Researched Much On Them Yet!! Its Almost Confusing With All The Dependabilty & HP Gains That They Claim With No Lag!! Well We Want A System With Zero Lag Just Power From The Start That Will Run All The Way Through The Power Band!! We Are Also Going To Have To Get The Proper Clutch & Gearing Lined Up, The List Goes On!!!!
Again Thank You
Jeff & LCpl Jay RCT-1, Camp Fullujah Iraq
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

If your from the Detroit area Brenspeed is fairly close and offers turbo's, centri's, and Saleen. A great shop that works almostentirely on s-197 platforms. Nothing beats having someone close that can answer questions and do installs.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM
07ROUSHGT
1st Gear Member

Good Luck with the build. I'm deployed in Baghdad right now trying to work with my wife on having our '07 ROUSH get pumped up modifications. It's not easy from this distance, so I hope the best for you. Tell your son "Semper Fi"

USMC '85-'89
Army '04-present
Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM
07ROUSHGT
1st Gear Member

Good Luck with the build. I'm deployed here in Baghdad and am trying to work with the wife on having our '07 ROUSH pumped up with mods. It's not easy from this distance, so I hope the best for you. Tell your son "Semper Fi"

USMC '85-'89
Army '04-present
Old 03-21-2008, 10:17 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Congrats 1st on your son and 2nd on your project with him and 3rd on your newmustang. I commend you and your son for your sacrifices. A lot of us on here are building and asking these questions. dont rush it, research it. If your bringing the car to the 450 plus rear wheel HP mark you would be money ahead to fortify your engine, possibly a stroker kit and forged internals. once you have your platform your are starting off right. and you do not have to worry about the rotating assy. at 450 rear wheel HP are stock mustangs begin to show thier production limits. yeah some are running close to 500 but most would love to know they had there block bullet proof. you will need to update clutch, driveshaft, gearspossibly axles , suspension tires wheels, gauges,pods roll bars plus the big ? of a power Adder. will he ever want to run nitros ? how big of a shot?
Do you have a performance shop in mind and a tuner shop with a dyno?
I guess it seems overwhelming at first but talk with him and find out his goals for the car. 1/4 mile strip, track or street racing? these all change the way the car is setup.

were proud of him and you to for helping him. Keep up the good work and good luck with your progress.I am sure we are all pulling for him
And I would like to thank all you vets and service(men ) for your sacrifices
Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Proud Marine Parent

WOW!!! Thank You All For Your Support!!! Thank You To All Who Have Served It Is Greatly Apprecitaed!!! Well After Some Thought And Comparison We Think We Will Be Rebuilding And Stroking The Lower End And Going With The Saleen 475 System And We Will Have A Reputible Co. Install And Tune It!! We Will Be Able To Build Around That. Thank You For All The Help I Have Been Emailing My Son All Of Your Responses And Advice He Appreciates It Also
Jeff
Old 03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Jeff, seeing you are in the Metro Detroit Area here is a great guy to help you get started. Mustangs are his speciality and he is very well known and a good person to boot. He also has a Dyno Day coming up on April 19th if you want to get some baseline numbers for your son.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/

John
Old 03-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if you're in detroit, check out brenspeed. they are one of the most respected mustang shops in the country.

first thing is going to be to figure out which blower you want. from what you've said, i would say stick with a twin screw. there's Whipple, Kenne Bell, and Saleen. talk to your son and see if the 500hp is going to be where he stays or if he wants the option to build his block later on and add more boost. the Saleen charger will get you the 450rwhp you want fairly easily and if you get it installed by a certified Saleen dealer, they'll warrant the work, which is a huge plus when you're talking about forced induction. Kenne Bell and Whipple have the ability to make more power than the saleen, but you have to spend another huge chunk of change to forge your internals. if it was me and i was making a daily driver, i'd probably go Saleen and get the warranty.

for suspension you're going to want an overhaul for "road racing handling". lowering springs, shocks, struts, lca's, uca, panhard bar and brace, and a bunch of other stuff i can't even begin to list. i would recommend pm'ing Sam Strano, F1 Fan, or any of our other resident suspension experts. Sam has his own shop and has 4 SCCA championships with his most recent being in a S197, so he knows his stuff.

also, you're going to want a new driveshaft, clutch, shifter, wheels & tires, brakes, exhaust, and any appearance modifications he wants. i would start making a list of all of the modifications he wants to do starting with the most important to him and go mod by mod and figure out which parts you want. also make sure to keep in mind everything he has chosen when picking another part. we're all here to help and there is a wealth of information on the site you can use the search to find.

tell your son thank you from all of us.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Proud Marine Parent

Yeah I Started A List It Started Out As A Sheet Of Paper Now It Is A Folder Full, Plus Internet Sites And Forums, But I Have Recieved Alot Of Great Info From This Site. It Has Led Me In The Proper Direction, I Know He Wants To Do Forced Induction Before Anything Else!! So Whatever He Does It Has To Be Safe To Run On A Stock Motor And Be Able To Be Expanded When He Gets The Lower End Built!! The Suspension Upgrades Will Be Done About The Same Time He Gets Done With His Deployment March '09!! Then He Can Work On The Appearance Of His Car!! Brenspeed Is On Our List Of Performance Shops To Checkout!!
My Bro's Brother-In-Law Works For Saleen So I Am Seeing What He Can Do For The Extended Family! He Is Checking To See What They Can Do.
Again Thank You For Your Info And Support It Is Seriously Being Thought Out And Being Put To Good Use! We Want To End Up With A 1 Of A Kind Ride!
Jeff & LCpl Jay

Quick Reply: 2006 GT Seeking 500+HP For Son's War Pony!!!!