Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Goin' turbo - guage advice?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Goin' turbo - guage advice?

FYI for the OP!! You are brave ordering a turbo from HPperformance!!! I was originally going to buy from them but after alot of research I found out that there kits blow! Every speed shop I talked to told me to steer clear plus I didnt feel like waiting 6 months for my turbo.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I believe the OP said TurboHorsepower not HPP.

Earl
Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breathegood

How is that affixed to the console? Is it basically stuck on the outside, or has the console been cutand the boost controller is set into it? Looks very nice. Can you set that up for different boost in different gears? My setup came with a simple electronichigh/low boost control switch, but I will likely be switching to a nicer controller after some driving and break in time. I'm about 90% finished with the install of my STS twins. I just have to install the 39# injectors, boost controller, and STS forgot a couple parts when they shipped me the packages.....the car has been on jack stands for eight days now, and I'm getting anxious do drive it.
It's actually fixed right into the console. The shop who did the install did it. He pulls the piece out and uses a little dremel tool to cut some pieces out and then he buttons it right up. Very slick, very ergonomical-easy to reach.

That boost gauge does not have the progressive boost settings. That particular model (GReddy Pro SpecB2) has a high/low, gain, set gain, warning limiter, warning light, instant boost/vacuum, high boost readout.

Greedy makes another that's around $550-600 that has progressive boost levels for high turbo applications.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

This what I did:

An AEM truboost controller (is a gauge and boost controller at the same time http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=68 )
An AEM UEGO wideband
An aeroforce for the rest. The interceptor accepts two analog inputs, make it whatever you want, oil temp, press, pyrometer, whatever, just buy the sensors for it.

Going with the aeroforce will save a fuel pressure gauge among other things. The pyrometer sensor is quite pricey BTW, because you need and interface to translate the levels read by it to 0-5V. About 160$ the sensor and linearizer. You even get a nice shift light with it.

I bought my AEM gauges in Amazon, free shipping, the aeroforce as most of my things, in Lethal.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
C17drivr

Check out the Spek gauges. I have them and like them. The ones with the chrome bezel match the interior very well, including the font of the dials. Also has selectable colors, peak recall, high and low warnings. I bought mine from Jegs, but here is the website: www.propartsllc.com
Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

I believe the most important is Water temp gauge. Heat is your worst enemy.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lance9386
Now I will be needing a boost guage, AFR guage, and oil pressure guage. I believe these are the most important guages..correct me if I'm wrong.
A fuel pressure gauge is far more important than an oil pressure gauge IMO.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdback19

FYI for the OP!! You are brave ordering a turbo from HPperformance!!! I was originally going to buy from them but after alot of research I found out that there kits blow! Every speed shop I talked to told me to steer clear plus I didnt feel like waiting 6 months for my turbo.
#1 he said Turbo horsepower
#2 they dont suck they just take a while to send the kit
#3 I got a HP Performance kit and I waited 5 months for it
#4 If I had the chance to order a turbo kit again I would order it from them w/o thinking it twice. The quality of the pipes, the support, the kit, The base intercooler is bigger than the turbo horsepower $500 upgraded intercooler lol

Andrew
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retfr8flyr

I believe the OP said TurboHorsepower not HPP.

Earl
HP Performance is not HPP

There is THP, www.turbohorsepower.com
HP Peformance www.hpperformance.com
HPP http://www.hppmotorsports.com/home.html

Andrew
Old 04-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

Ok there is lots of bad information on this thread regarding gauges. The most important gauge for a turbo car is a wideband and the best wideband in the market is the innovate WB. It is the best hands down, there have been many comparisons between widebands(mostly import mags and such) and the Innovate always comes on top. The AEM is good too but not the best Why is the wideband gauge the most important? because there are so many factors that can change ur AFR. For example a tank of bad gas, the humidity, the temperature, barometric pressure, altitude etc etc. And any FI engine over 12.5 is a disaster waiting to happen you want to keep your AFR closely monitored.

Now some may go that you can tune with a pyrometer and see your temperature but the thing is with a pyrometer it is not as real time and doesn't give a straight forward reading you must know what Operating temperature = what AFR and such. The reason why everybody used to have pyrometers is because a couple of years ago the widebands costed over 1k so not many people shelled out the money for a proper wideband. The only reason I see for a EGT gauge(pyrometer) is if you road race a lot or hit the car really hard or you want to tune individual cylinders and such but I am pretty sure none of us will reach that level. Also remember this is only for turbo cars if you are s/c you will need this less than the turbo people if anything lol.

The other main gauge for a turbo car is a boost gauge so that you can see your boost and see if you go to overboost or anything similar. Personally I wont recommend a boost gauge I would just get a Electronic boost controller and control the boost with that. Two good options are the Greddy Profec e-01 or the Turbo smart e-boost 2(fits on a pod lots of settings) Higher end is the HKS EVC 6 which is right now the best mainstream only above that is the ams boost controller but thats around 1k and mainly for all out drag cars.

Now we go into your 3rd+gauge This should be oil pressure (since the oil pressure gauge on the car is a dummy one) and next fuel. The reason because of this is because an oil one is much more important as it could let you know of things that are going bad and when not to floor it. The fuel you can datalog and see the psi. But I will have both are almost equally important. Saying this I would just get an aeroforce gauge that reads the Fuel + oil pressure from the obdii and has the all important knock retard. Shows you if your engine is knocking or if something is wrong. If you see the gauge reading that the engine is retarding the ignition and pulling out timming you know something is wrong and you could be 1 flooring away from a detonation and a broken block.

Personally I have
1. Innovate WB
2. Eboost-2
3. Aeroforce gauge
All on the SOS Pillar

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goin' turbo - guage advice?