Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Goin' turbo - guage advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Lance9386
1st Gear Member

Default Goin' turbo - guage advice?

Okay I've decided to go with the single turbo kit from turbohorsepower.com.. The kit includes:
[align=left]Standard Kit:[/align] *Garrett Single T61 Turbo *Tial Billet 38 MM Waste gate *Blow Off Valve *Computer tuner *Oil fill and return fittings and lines
*Jet Hot Coating of all Tubing *Quality Silicone Connectors in red, blue or black *Quality Stainless V band Clamps *Quality Stainless T bolt Clamps *CNC Mandrel bent tubing *Large Conical Air Filter *3” down pipe (others use 2.5”) *Y pipe to attach to your stock axle back mufflers *Oil filter relo kit *39# Injectors

I am going to add the following upgrades...

67mm turbo
air-to-air intercooler
44mm wastegate

Now I will be needing a boost guage, AFR guage, and oil pressure guage. I believe these are the most important guages..correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like some recommendations of which brand to go with.. I am looking at a 3-guage A-pillar pod..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:39 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Goin' turbo - guage advice?

there are so many gauge stylesto choose
from....

start at autometer.com and see if anything
catches your eye.....
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Lance9386
1st Gear Member

okay I will do that.. really looking for opinions of what the best brands are. From my understanding autometer is the best? I want to go with some quality guages..
Old 03-20-2008, 08:52 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

I have the Autometer Nexus guages and I am very happy with them but they are very expensive. I have also heard good things about the now Aeroforce guages.

Earl
Old 03-22-2008, 02:26 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

get a wideband type a/f gauge. AEM, Innovate, PLX, etc. They have their own o2 sensor to give accurate real-time a/f readings. Autometer type just tap into stock o2 wires, which is not very ideal and good for the ECM.

Boost gauge, mechanical type.

Oil psi gauge, electrical type.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

With the turbo you will want a boost controler of some type. They also can act as a boost Guage and can help with the tuning of your car. There are so many things you can do with a boost controler I think they should be standard on all turbo kits. Gives you the ability to run different power levels,high/low, control spool up, smooth boost, set up a warning system for overboost, an alarm for overboost etc. I use the Greddy Prospec B and love it. If you want suggestions on mounting letting me know and I will show you some pics.

If you plan on drag racing I would get a shift light of some type. I have the autometer and it's okay. It does the job but is kind of sensitive at lower RPMs.

A wide band is not a bad idea either. I have the AEM unit and like it.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Lance9386
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

With the turbo you will want a boost controler of some type. They also can act as a boost Guage and can help with the tuning of your car. There are so many things you can do with a boost controler I think they should be standard on all turbo kits. Gives you the ability to run different power levels,high/low, control spool up, smooth boost, set up a warning system for overboost, an alarm for overboost etc. I use the Greddy Prospec B and love it. If you want suggestions on mounting letting me know and I will show you some pics.

If you plan on drag racing I would get a shift light of some type. I have the autometer and it's okay. It does the job but is kind of sensitive at lower RPMs.

I'd love to see some pictures and also what would be a good place to purchase this boost controller.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Most turbo gurus will suggest a pyrometer. I installed Autometer Cobalt boost and pyromter gauges in my car.A little less expensive than the Nexus, but they match my dash gauges perfectly. Black face with white letters that light up blue. Only problem, and I'm being nit picky here, is that they are just slightly brighter than the factory gauges.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lance9386

ORIGINAL: Simon1

I'd love to see some pictures and also what would be a good place to purchase this boost controller.
It's made by Greddy so shop around or talk to your installer.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

How is that affixed to the console? Is it basically stuck on the outside, or has the console been cutand the boost controller is set into it? Looks very nice. Can you set that up for different boost in different gears? My setup came with a simple electronichigh/low boost control switch, but I will likely be switching to a nicer controller after some driving and break in time. I'm about 90% finished with the install of my STS twins. I just have to install the 39# injectors, boost controller, and STS forgot a couple parts when they shipped me the packages.....the car has been on jack stands for eight days now, and I'm getting anxious do drive it.

Quick Reply: Goin' turbo - guage advice?