Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Picking a CAI based on looks alone...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Picking a CAI based on looks alone...

ORIGINAL: mhconley
OK, so I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow on a cold air intake. I've read what seems like hundreds of posts and know as much as any noobie can know about this stuff. I have an SCT Xcal 2 from a friend of mine who used it on his Lightning. It has been reset to stock. I'll be buying tunes from one of the reputable tuners listed in these forums. I'm stuck on one of three intakes. I know that all three will provide very similar HP/TQ gains so it's really a matter of looks. One of these are going in my Alloy convertible... which will it be?
<<SNIPPED>>
Thanks!

Martin
Hi Martin,

If you need to stay California emissions legal (I feel your pain, Im in SoCal)buy the Steeda CAI kit which is the same as the FRPP CAI kit. Steeda will then sell you the flash toolwhichthey supply to Ford and FRPP supplieswith their FRPP CAI kit which is CARB legal (all 50 states) so you will have no trouble with the smog ***** or the dealerships. You can also just go buy it online from an FRPP agent and buy the Steeda High-Velocity Intake Elbow separately. But I suggest that you consider using the large rubber intake from the Saleen ExtremeS/C intake. It flowsbig timeair, is quiet, durable, simple, attractive,and is cheap. Oh sure the CF elbow look cool but it offers nothing over the regular Steeda high-velocity elbow or the Saleen Extreme S/C intake tubes except appearance and it's expensive.

I have the Steeda CAI with a Diablo Predator from Steeda with a Steeda part number and using the stock Predator canned tune my car has put down 316-318rwhp on ST Motorsport's Dynojet using SAE correction and smoothing5. My car was run on the ST dyno with theSteeda CAI,the High-Velocity Intake Elbow, canned90mm IMRC delete tune froma SteedaST7140Predator tuner, BBK Twin 62mm Throttle body, FRPP CMCV (IMRC) deletes,JBA 1 5/8” primary shortys, MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe and stockpipes and rear mufflers. Car is a 5-speed with 3.55's.Obviously Steeda's CAI kit and tunes are just fine as my carwas within 5rwhpor less of a similar '065-speed GTwith 3.55’s and C&L Racer CAI, X-Cal2 tuner on acustom dyno tune,BBK 62mm T/B,Steeda billet CMCV delete plates, and American Racing Headers 1 5/8” primary long tube headers with matching metallic high-flow cats and X-pipe withCorsa rear mufflers also run that day.

HTH!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi Martin,

If you need to stay California emissions legal (I feel your pain, Im in SoCal)buy the Steeda CAI kit which is the same as the FRPP CAI kit. Steeda will then sell you the flash toolwhichthey supply to Ford and FRPP supplieswith their FRPP CAI kit which is CARB legal (all 50 states) so you will have no trouble with the smog ***** or the dealerships. You can also just go buy it online from an FRPP agent and buy the Steeda High-Velocity Intake Elbow separately. But I suggest that you consider using the large rubber intake from the Saleen ExtremeS/C intake. It flowsbig timeair, is quiet, durable, simple, attractive,and is cheap. Oh sure the CF elbow look cool but it offers nothing over the regular Steeda high-velocity elbow or the Saleen Extreme S/C intake tubes except appearance and it's expensive.

I have the Steeda CAI with a Diablo Predator from Steeda with a Steeda part number and using the stock Predator canned tune my car has put down 316-318rwhp on ST Motorsport's Dynojet using SAE correction and smoothing5. My car was run on the ST dyno with theSteeda CAI,the High-Velocity Intake Elbow, canned90mm IMRC delete tune froma SteedaST7140Predator tuner, BBK Twin 62mm Throttle body, FRPP CMCV (IMRC) deletes,JBA 1 5/8” primary shortys, MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe and stockpipes and rear mufflers. Car is a 5-speed with 3.55's.Obviously Steeda's CAI kit and tunes are just fine as my carwas within 5rwhpor less of a similar '065-speed GTwith 3.55’s and C&L Racer CAI, X-Cal2 tuner on acustom dyno tune,BBK 62mm T/B,Steeda billet CMCV delete plates, and American Racing Headers 1 5/8” primary long tube headers with matching metallic high-flow cats and X-pipe withCorsa rear mufflers also run that day.

HTH!
Thanks for the information. You're throwing some pretty impressive numbers considering you're CARB legal.

I was considering staying CARB legal but havedecided not to. I know my way around a car with a wrench and don't mind returning the car to stock for dealer visits and the like. There arecurrently only twoCARB legal choices for the 2008 model year. Of the typical CARB legal intakes, Steeda, Airaid and K&N,only Airaid is currently certified on the 2008 and then only with no tune and the modular venturi tube in place. FRPP is also certified but again, only with their tune.

Martin

By the way - Go Kimi!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Etnix
1st Gear Member

well if you ever plan on getting a shaker, I would get the one that had the best heat shield for modding it up with the air outlet of the shaker system.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

No love for the WMS?[&o]

I think I'm pretty much the only person in the Mustang community that likes the WMS.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I have been happy with my C&L racer. However many of my other mods have been Steeda stuff and I'm quite happy with thier stuff too. I'd definitely consider the Steeda.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

No love for the WMS?[&o]

I think I'm pretty much the only person in the Mustang community that likes the WMS.
I like the WMS - it just doesn't fit with my requirement to be able to easily return the car to stock.

Martin
Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
docwine
1st Gear Member

Steeda with the Carbon Fiber FTW!!!

Photos of mine.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...07015Small.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...07013Small.jpg
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Fool4Parts
2nd Gear Member

C&L Racer FTW with a GT500 Throttle Body FTW and a lineloc to get 'em hot FTW.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Put me down for a vote on the ProFab. The paint finish on it is perfect and the color matching on them is spot on. Performance wise, IMO, it exceeds the C&L that I had on their, and the MAf single is MUCH more stable, which means a much better control of the fueling and more consistant performance. Ken really knows his stuff and you will not be sorry you got it.