Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

full set of mods and dyno-- first post

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
glimmertwins

Default full set of mods and dyno-- first post

The forum was a huge help in this project and I wanted to share my numbers. First post.

Last fall I purchased on 05 mustang gt from Ebay for $19,000. It had 12k miles and came with the following options: 5 speed; side air bags; 1000 watt Shaker system; interior upgrade package; alarm and leather seats. It is mineral grey with Bullitt style wheels. Apparently it was a custom order and originally purchased in Las Vegas. When it arrived, the buyer did not like the color so it was put out on the lot. It sold in one day. The first owner bought it the day before Christmas as a present for his wife.But I think this was like Homer buying Marge a bowling ball with his name on it. They lived in San Fran and she did not like driving a 300 hp 5 speed on hills.

I had almost bought a 400 hp 2005 GTO. I loved how it sounded and the power but it looked terrible. Like a Cavalier or something. Plus, people who drive GTO’s are sort of stuck up. So I decided to get a Mustang GT and try to mod it to be as fast as the GTO.

Anyway, once I picked up the car, I started gathering performance parts. I purchased a steeda intake with elbow; steeda underdrive pulleys; steeda charge motion delete plates; steeda springs; JBA long tube headers; JBA off road H pipe; hurst shifter with pistol grip, SCT tuner; and 4.10 gears from Ford Racing. Most of the parts I found on eBay. I ended up paying $2200 for the works. All of the parts were new except for the steeda springs and the JBA headers and h pipe.

I live in Seattle. I asked the local Mustang association for recommendations for a local speed shop. They recommended Brad’s Custom Auto and The Mustang Shop. I got bids from both shops. Brad’s wanted $2300 to install the parts. The Mustang Shop wanted $1500 which included custom dyno tuning. Obviously, I went with TMS—they were really great to work with.

On a mustng dynoits peak HP is 306 and peak torque is 316. This was with regular gas. The shop said that the stock tune was way off. I have no idea what it put out before the mods.

The car is really loud now! Andfast. The throttle lag is gone. But the increase in horsepower makes the stock brakes feel totally inadequate. I am going to (at least) put some performance brake pads on. Also the Hurst shifter turned out great. Very short and precise.

This is my first american can since owning a 1970 442 in college. The car has not needed any form of repair since it was new. The fact that it was fast to begin with and can be moded without costing a fortune is a huge benefit. Try doing similar mods on a Evo, Sti or 350z (let alone an Audi or something).

Also, one thing I really like about the mustang forum is the high rate of people usingdyno results. Onthe non-mustang forums people spend a lot more time speculating.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: full set of mods and dyno-- first post

Nice first post. It sounds like you got a huge bang for your buck only spending that much money and breaking 300rwhp. Welcome to the forums.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I guess you went big. You made some really good choices right off the bat. You didn't hit anything over 306 RWHP after getting a better tune?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Next up a Super charger on Ebay?
Sounds like you had your **** in one sock and planned out what you were going to do. Seems like it turned out nice for you. You have what most of us lack (me included)
patience
I guess we could all learn from this.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

What kind of Dyno was it run on?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 AM
glimmertwins

This was done on a mustang dyno-- so figure an 8% if done on a regular dyno? The shop said that cars with similar mods typically test out at a little under 300 on the machine.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I getting the Delete Plates to get over the 300 mark
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

WOW! And welcome
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Nice #'s
Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
w1ck3dr1
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue 05 Mustang

Okay, I getting the Delete Plates to get over the 300 mark
i think you just need a custom dyno tune. i had 288whp with intake, bbk LT, O/R x pipe, and pypes mufflers, withSCT VMP tune. it was running a little lean. got it custom dyno tuned and made 301whp and 319ft lbs of torque.

Quick Reply: full set of mods and dyno-- first post