Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Spydershaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Spydershaft

I get a little vibe but its not balance just increased transmission of the noise from the rearend.
Mostly you just feel it through the shift handle. I picked up 2/10 and 2 mph at the track for the same conditions.
I run the same times now at 1600' higher density altitude.

With flange and bolts the Spidershaft weighed 18.5 lb and the stock assembly including flange, bolts, and carrier bearing assembly 51.5 lb.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Im running the Steeda springs. I shouldnt have any clearance issues right? Also, when you guys say vibration, does it literally vibrate the car? Otherwise, it sounds like one of the best driveshafts out there to purchase. Gene K, thanks for the numbers on weight reduction.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You will feel slightly more road vibration. The reason is that the 2 piece shaft transfers vibration through its center mounting point to the frame. The spydershaft allows you to feel road variations in the shifter. It's barely noticable, and completely worth the gains in performance. Any one piece aftermarket shaft will yield a slight increase in road vibration transferred through the shifter.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas

Im running the Steeda springs. I shouldnt have any clearance issues right? Also, when you guys say vibration, does it literally vibrate the car? Otherwise, it sounds like one of the best driveshafts out there to purchase. Gene K, thanks for the numbers on weight reduction.
I'm curious about this as well since I just ordered one last week in the group buy. Anyone else who's lowered having clearance issues?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

I am very interested in that buy..

$525 shipped, eh?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

From what I have heard so far, I think you really need a significant drop for a one piece driveshaft to start having clearance problems. I dont think the Steeda springs will stop me from the sypdershaft. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I would rather know of this now before I spend the money...
Old 04-22-2008, 09:17 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Intervention

I am very interested in that buy..

$525 shipped, eh?
If you are in the continental US, that is correct!

ORIGINAL: tonkpils555666sas
From what I have heard so far, I think you really need a significant drop for a one piece driveshaft to start having clearance problems. I dont think the Steeda springs will stop me from the sypdershaft. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I would rather know of this now before I spend the money...
Ron explained to me that he had over a 2" drop and it still cleared...He said that I will be fine and I have a 2" Eibach Sportlines drop....the Steeda springs should and won't cause any problems
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

I have the spydershaft and have the pro springs and no clearance problems....I did have the saleen short shifter block and that hit the shaft so I had to get a pro50 shifter, actually liked the saleen block better .....but it is what it is. I have a bit of vibration too but I agree that it is mostly road transfer , if I put some evenly distributed wieght in the trunk it all goes away telling me it is vibration transfered to the body.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So there is no need whatsoever for adjustable LCA with this driveshaft assuming your car is not lowered?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 PM
MHGT
1st Gear Member

I have solid lower arms and the steeda adjustable upper....I have my pinion set @ -1 degree. I would say that if you try it with the stock arms your pinion angle would be way too far out. In my opinion...I know my upper arm is quite a bit different in length than the stock.

Quick Reply: Spydershaft