Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

gears no tune? ..yet.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default gears no tune? ..yet.

Gonna get the intake tuner kit anyways but if I get gears first will they still be as noticable
without a tune??

(auto)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: gears no tune? ..yet.

the tune has nothing to do with the gears other than it tells the computer what gears you have in the car....i wouldnt drive an auto without this setting changed
Old 04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

NO !!!! I made that mistake, got 3.73 gears, re-loaded my tune and changed parameters for axle ratio to 3.73, speedo wascorrect but I really didn't feel any difference with the 3.73s, contacted Doug and Bamachips and he said its common for people to think all you have to do is changethe ratioin your tuner, unfortunately the actual tune needs to beset-up for the gear ratio, so without in theory if you are stock, the stock program is set for stock 3.31 gears, just like everything nowadways the computerrules not the actual mechanicals!!! [:@]

Get a SCT Xcal tuner with a CAI (Brenspeed or Bamachips), 3.73 gears, you will not believe the difference those things will makeespecially for an auto.

Good Luck
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: desslok40

NO !!!! I made that mistake, got 3.73 gears, re-loaded my tune and changed parameters for axle ratio to 3.73, speedo wascorrect but I really didn't feel any difference with the 3.73s, contacted Doug and Bamachips and he said its common for people to think all you have to do is changethe ratioin your tuner, unfortunately the actual tune needs to beset-up for the gear ratio, so without in theory if you are stock, the stock program is set for stock 3.31 gears, just like everything nowadways the computerrules not the actual mechanicals!!! [:@]

Get a SCT Xcal tuner with a CAI (Brenspeed or Bamachips), 3.73 gears, you will not believe the difference those things will makeespecially for an auto.

Good Luck

dang it..wanted to get gears first but I guess I'll just get the I/T kit first lol.It'll only be like 3 weeks between mods so it's not like I'll be waiting forever or anything.

Pretty sure I'll get 3:90s though really really really itching towards 4:10s...I'll mod out with traction mods if I have to!!~
Old 04-23-2008, 12:11 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

he woudl adjust his shift pressure and points in an auto, but there isnt anything he can really do for manual.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

So if I already have Doug's tunes......and then had my gears installed.....I really need to contact Doug and have my tunes updated?? Is this the right understanding??
Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Thats correct, you will still need to change parameter axle ratio to 3.73 or your speedo will be off (it will be real obvious!!!), but Doug will still need to update the tune and then you willbe good to go
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

So if I already have Doug's tunes......and then had my gears installed.....I really need to contact Doug and have my tunes updated?? Is this the right understanding??
that's one bad *** looking GT.

..so it really is best to get the intake/tuner then gears??

For some reason or another I want gears ASAP...
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

So....maybe I should get my 20 inch wheels and 3.73 gears parameters changed on my tuner and then have Doug "re-write" my tunes......??

Damn...this modding thing never ends!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

First off, why 20s ? you driving a Hummer or something Get your tune adjusted before you get gears installed and then you are ready to load upthen drive off. Change the other stuff whenever you want but don't drive around like me for a week without the right tune [:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gears no tune? ..yet.