Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Help! Sick Father In-law's new Bullitt ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
jymontoya
1st Gear Member

Default Help! Sick Father In-law's new Bullitt ...

First of all, Thank you very much for your time and help! I apologize for the long post, but I need help.

Here's the scoop. My father in-law grew up racing boats, and cars. But, as time moved on, he stopped hot-rodding. It was always a goal of his to get another muscle car, but he never got around to it. Well, at 66 years old, he's been diagnosed with cancer for the third time, and this time we're afraid its going to be fatal. A couple of weeks ago, he saw an article in USA today about the new Bullitt Mustang. He remembered the old one so well. He wanted to hear a new one, and sit in one to see where they've come with the classic. So, we went down to the dealer and bought one the next day! He said with something like this, you just have to "hop it up!". Well, after asking me where the carbeurator was, I realized he was going to need some help with this ultimate street ride adventure. We talked about the good ole' days when more horsepower was easy on big cubic inch engines. I mentioned supercharging, as ford and roush offer warranty backed versions. But he told me about how many bad experiences his friends had with supercharging back in the day and that he felt it would be dangerous to the engine. So I researched what would be an acceptable N/A setup for this new Bullitt. We were hoping to get about 400hp at the crank, while retaining daily driver ability. What do you think? Is this possible with heads, a decent cam setup, longtube headers, and tuning? We live near Road Atlanta, and this Bullitt would see some weekend racing, but nothing serious, just some unofficial open track days. Might see the strip too, but that's not a huge deal for us.

Thank you very much for listening to all of that.

Honestly, what would be your suggestion? Can this be done N/A, or should I talk him into a supercharger kit?

As you might expect, given the situation, we would like to make this happen quickly. Would that change your suggestion?

What about the fact that the car is a Bullitt? We think Steve McQueen would be proud of a sleeper pro-touring type setup. But at the same time, don't want to devalue a classic. We were thinking that we'd have to keep all the Stock parts just in case for the classic sake. That being said, with the unique Bullitt plaque on the strut bar, the supercharger kit would need to allow to keep that.

Also, it's been since the 70's that my father in-law has driven a muscle car, much less a stick, so ease of drivability is key.

Many, many thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Sick Father In-law's new Bullitt ...

jymontoya,
[blockquote]
Sorry to here about your father's condition, but at least he seems to be keeping anpositive outlook! In regards to you question about building up a n/a engine, it is something that I have been doing for a while now, and I have had some real fun doing it. That being said, I don't believe that it is the best option for you and your father in this case. First, I think that it is much more expensive than just going the FI route. Second, the time to install all of the components (Ported Heads, Cams, LT's, UDP's, etc. etc. etc.) will take far more time and effort than simply running a moderate FI setup. With the prevelance of options available for superchargers (Whipple, KB, Saleen, ATI, etc.) and the ability to purchase an installed unit with a warranty (i.e. Saleen and others) I think you would be better suited to talking you Dad into going that route. My reasoning is that with a warranty, this should eliminate some of the concerns that your father has about superchargers. Many of the modern FI kits are capable of supplying moderate boost levels to our engines with very little risk to the engine when properly tuned and maintained. Additionally, you can probably get the FI installed and running by a professional shop in under a week, tuned to your specifications, with little to no additional modification to your Dad's Bullitt, and be out enjoying 400+ rwhp ASAP. I don't have an answer for you on the strut bar, but you may be able to keep it with the Saleen or one of the Centri Kits.

Best of luck to you and your Dad!

~Matt[/blockquote]
Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
jymontoya
1st Gear Member

Thank you! Anyone else have anything to add?

I'm certainly looking at the S/C options now. Probably FRPP 400 with an intercooler (can you get that seperate from the 500 kit?)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM
SD05GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm also sorry to hear it. I would honestly throw on a HO whipple or Kenne Bell supercharger. It would cost just as much money to get close to the numbers you want staying N/A. With a supercharger you could reach 400 crank hp with like 4 psi. I say get the Kenne Bell Intercooled 10 PSI kit that will put out over 550 crank hp. That would really make him smile!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

In this case a SC is the way to go, time considering. Your in atlanta , You have some good speed shops around you, and florida. Explain to him these are not the engines nor the Blowers of the past. You get 100-200 real horsepower from this setup and install time is 1-2 days and can even be backed up by a warranty. With undervive pullys CAI,HEADS,HEADERS, AND OTHER BELLS AND WHISTLES YOU ARE GONNA SPEND WAY MORE AND PROBABLY WISH YOU HAD FORCED INDUCTION.
If you do get one get it intercooled.
With the bullit you have 355 gears so you wouldnt have to change gears FI but otherwise you would probaby need to or want to.
Good luck with your father in law and yalls bullet
Old 05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Hey,

Get the FRPP H.O kit and swap the 10ib pulley for the 8. That would give you about 400rwhp with the FRPP tune. I doubt you will have any problems with reliability with 8ibs of boost.

ORIGINAL: jymontoya

Thank you! Anyone else have anything to add?

I'm certainly looking at the S/C options now. Probably FRPP 400 with an intercooler (can you get that seperate from the 500 kit?)
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
GT Rick
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ybnormal

With the bullit you have 355 gears so you wouldnt have to change gears FI but otherwise you would probaby need to or want to.
Good luck with your father in law and yalls bullet
The Bullit has 3.73 gears stock
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law's cancer. It's good to see that he's upbeat and using this as an opportunity to grab life by the horns. I'd help him to understand that supercharging has come a long way since the 60s and 70s. I recommend that you guys buy the Whipple HO kit and an additional pulley for the boost you feel comfortable running. (Jared at lethal performance would be happy to help you guys decide on exactly what you need.) I'd also recommend that you guys self install he kit together. If you have a basic knowledge of tools and how they work, you can install this kit. The instructions are detailed and excellent. The experience of installing the kit together would be a great way for your father-in-law to enjoy his time with you while facing such a grave illness.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
08Bullitt215
1st Gear Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uj21PIWsTMs

heres an 08 BULLITT with a magnacharger sc on it and the strut brace is still on
Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
jymontoya
1st Gear Member

Yep, seen that. That's an awful video. Livernois has some great videos of their shop car with the Magnacharger.

The only thing I dont like is that you can hear it over the exhaust.... IMHO the supercharger shouldn't whine that much on a V8.

Quick Reply: Help! Sick Father In-law's new Bullitt ...