Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Question on thermostat temps..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
08SmokedAlloy

Default Question on thermostat temps..

I have an 08gt premium, i recently added a "power package" if you will.. its the c&l racer cai, gt500 tb, udp's, cop's, and a diablo tuner. The increase in power wasdefinetly noticable. My problem is that it seems to disappear as the car gets to normal operating temp. In the morning it runs like a bat out of hell but as soon as it warms up it's barley pulling more then stock or so it feels. I noticed it did the same thing when it wasstock but now i can really notice the loss in power after it warms up.

I was looking at the 160ยบ thermostat and it sounds like it makes sense..if itruns cooler you dont lose as much power.As far as i know my car comes stock with a 180ยบ stat.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Would this be a smart move, or is it one of those: it seems logical butNO! kind of things.
The tuner came with the tune for the c&l racercai.. but i didn't see anything about the tb or the udp's.. could that be an issue?

I live in S.Florida so i dont worry about it not warming up in the winter. 2 days in the 60's isn't a big concern for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Question on thermostat temps..

i am having the exact same problem but with a different brand of parts. all my stuff came from steeda. cai with pro flow elbow, sct tune, throttle spacer, 4.30 gears and exhaust. i have been dealing with steed for 5 weeks now with no satifaction. that say its the car. well if you browse on here you will find others with the same issue. mine ran awesome in cooler temps. warmer temps and in town driving it feels no better even worse than stock. it seems to be a running lean issue. warmer are is more dense requiring more fuel. steeda reprogrammed my sct which was a mistake. the car ran worse. again they said its my car. now i cant go back to the pretuned sct tune now. so becareful letting someone talk you into reprogramming the tuner. others on here recommended using a brenspeed tune. i havent tried yet. still arguing with steeda. in the mean time i had to remove my $719 investment cai and tune kit cause the temps getting into the 80's now and dont want grandma in her torino to spank me. good luck and keep reading post. i have picked up alot of info here. later
Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Question on thermostat temps..

I would not recommend replacing the thermostat, but rather replace the tune. Most of the information on this site indicates that Steeda's stock tunes are pretty conservative and there have been other threads with this exact problem recently. I would strongly recommend ditching the stock Steeda Tune and contact someone like Brenspeed (whom I used and have been very happy with).

HTH
~Matt