Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New 08 GT...Headers & X pipe and more input needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:32 PM
MyFirstCobra

Default New 08 GT...Headers & X pipe and more input needed.

Hello All,
Been off the site for a while, however during my absence I have sold my 98 cobra and picked up a 2008 mustang GT.

I have had it for just over a month now and honestly love this car. It is much bigger inside than my 98 cobra, I'm a big guy so this important.

Mod's I have made (don't plan on making too many at this point). Tinted the windows as dark as legally posible in WA, 35% I believe. Put magnaflow polished stainless Axle back muflers. I have used magnaflow on all my past muscle (chevelles, camaro, 442's) as I really like the low pitch tone that they put out while openning up the flow.

Mods I have considered.
I considered suspension work but changed my mind since this car is my primary driver right now I did not want a real stiff ride.

I also thought about Ford Racing Cold Air Intake but changed my mind. While it gives a nice bump in power it also requires premium fuel. $4.00 per gal for regularand climbing here in Washington state and an average of $4.35 for premium "helped" me to change my mind. Again this is my primary car right now. While I am really enjoying 19-20 mpg over the 13 mpg I am getting over the Dodge Durango I traded in I just does not seem to make sense right now.

The mod I am doing:
I am looking to others who have done this and what thier experiences have been.

I am putting Fordracing factory shorty headers and the Ford racing factory X pipe on.

I will get the 5% Ford advantage dollars in my account for future use on service, toys, etc. Do you have this Ford Advantage at your dealer???

Reminder I already have Magnaflow mufflers so no need to change these...I am just looking for input as to your experience regarding sound...what tone change did it make and what change did it make to volume? Also while I am not expecting much if any power difference I was just wondering if anybody who has done this noticed a difference at all.

The parts guy, the high performance technician (who just purchased an 08 GT500), and the service mgr assured me this would still be covered under my 3yr/36k warranty...I still want in in writing on the receipt.

I used the search function but was not able to find answers to my specific questions.

Sorry for the length and thak you in advance for you advice and sharing your experience.

God Bless,
Shane
Gig Harbor WA

edited to fix my typos
Old 05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New 08 GT...Headers & X pipe and more input needed.

I don't think you will notice too much of sound difference if you get shorty headers. IMO not worth it. A better choice would be to get prochambers.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
MyFirstCobra

Default RE: New 08 GT...Headers & X pipe and more input needed.

Thank you very much for your input.

I am hoping to here from somebody who actually did these "upgrades" from the dealer and what if any differences the noticed.

Thanks again
Shane