Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

hi guys, i need u'r help to choose a cam for my 2005 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 PM
N Silent World

Default hi guys, i need u'r help to choose a cam for my 2005 mustang

hi everyone, guys i want u to tell me how to choose the right cam gear for different profiles on the 2005 mustang , i searched in the internet many times looking for a schedule or a basefor the car, but i haven't found, are there any???.so i'm asking u'r help and i want u to answer my questions:

1- how to choose the right cam for diff profiles??
2- i'm actually confused about intake and exhaust durations,i don't know what they mean and how do they help in choosing??
3- why do i need some times to install with the cam ,a spring and a phaser ???
4- can any one tell me what is the best cam in stock profile and incase of cold air kit +tuner + headers+ exhause+charge motion delete plates and these small things etc...
in this link http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtknn.htmas u see there r also crower and crane cams, my car is manual and stock, and i'm thinking to install the parts in #4.

wating for u'r help , bye.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hi guys, i need u'r help to choose a cam for my 2005 mustang

I just installed the crane cams stage 2 kit from RPM outlet. Remember to add to your list you will need a stall converter with at least a 2800 stall to reap the benefits of the cams.You will need new springs and retainers also.They dont call for it.But I was unable to use factory ones.I thought it was worth it.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

I see you recommend getting springs and retainers which i was planning on with my cams as well but I see steel retainers and for about 200 or so more are titanium retainers... worth it???
Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

What are your goals with the cam install?

If you want a nice soft cam, without the hassle of changing the springs, getting VCT lockers (or if you don't get them, having a chance to destroy all your valvetrain) why don't you get the new Ford Hot Rod cam?

Isn't this the sound of a nice cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mYzsxMbo4

They are new and not too many have them in stock, but if I were in the market for some cams I'll wait for those.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 PM
josephspann
1st Gear Member

I will be replacing the springs and actually the one i'm kinda interested in requires a phaser mod too. Its the Comp Cams Stage 2 XFI SPR. I do like the sound of that link you sent a lot so i will be considering those as well. I havent even heard of them so i'm glad i asked for some input haha. I will probably end up with a larger than just a normal street cam but I am not going so big to where i need ported heads
Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lito

What are your goals with the cam install?

If you want a nice soft cam, without the hassle of changing the springs, getting VCT lockers (or if you don't get them, having a chance to destroy all your valvetrain) why don't you get the new Ford Hot Rod cam?

Isn't this the sound of a nice cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mYzsxMbo4

They are new and not too many have them in stock, but if I were in the market for some cams I'll wait for those.
I really digging the Hot Rod cam, might have to put that somewhere on the to-buy list down the line.