Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which is the best driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default RE: Which is the best driveshaft?

hmm.. i found one article that said a 19lbs 1 piece driveshaft got them .1-.2 off the 1/4.. nothing too big.. anyone have any experience getting a better gain? or getting more HP on a dyno with one?
Old 06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

I've only experienced the stocker and the spydershaft.No vibrations on the spyder up to ~130mph. Igot it dynoed10 days later. 307 RWHP with the mods in my sigon a Brenspeed 87 tune.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm are the only power adds you have steeda cai and udp? that should be maximum gain of 35hp if you can combine the hp of the 2.. 25-30 more realistic.. I wonder what you would have dynoed at stock? 265-270? making the driveshaft add anywhere from 7-17?
Old 06-07-2008, 04:51 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

hmm.. i found one article that said a 19lbs 1 piece driveshaft got them .1-.2 off the 1/4.. nothing too big.. anyone have any experience getting a better gain? or getting more HP on a dyno with one?
I'd give you my times, but unless you know how to figure in DA, and our wonderful traction at the track here in Guam (they refuse to put VHT on the track)...it would seem that I totally suck! I have a Spydershaft, and I have no problems up to my tested 105mph!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mishri

hmm.. i found one article that said a 19lbs 1 piece driveshaft got them .1-.2 off the 1/4.. nothing too big..
When it comes to the 1/4 mile, .1 or .2 seconds is a huge gain if it is consistent.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wadman

The best one is the stock one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive had two after market d/s and they both vibrated and made alot of cabin noise. I would not have another if you gave it to me. Ive had a few people tell me that they had one that didnt have any issues. After riding in their car I new that one issue they had was a hearing issue!!! Ive got all the adjustable control arms and pinion alignment and they still would shake you out of the car at 70mph.
+1 for stock. My Coast driveshaft has no vibrations now but it took alot of hoursforthe shop that does my work to track down the cause (bad pinion flange from ford)of my vibration. For the amount of hassle it caused them and me (mostly them because they had to have lost money on the deal) I wouldnt do it again. With that being said there is a noticeable positivedifference in acceleration and throttle response, as for dyno numbers I dont know.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

well.. considering I will very rarely be taking it to the track (It's only open for about 5 months out of the year here) I can't decide wether or not its worth the $600.. This would be more street/highway accelaration I'm looking for.. tough choice.. originally I thought it was a no-brainer must do mod.. but now I'm not sure..
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 AM
doogyhap
1st Gear Member

I was thinking about installing the Steeda DS, but wanted some feedback also.That is alot of money tocough upfor afew HP gain and then the noise on top of that.Maybe I will stick with the stocker for now.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:37 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

Just installed my 2nd spydershaft last week. The first one whined until I rotated it, this one whines too. I haven't gotten around to rotating it yet, I'll do it today.

Steeda = spydershaft, only way more expensive

From a performance standpoint I can't compare the spydershaft to other shafts, but from a value standpoint it is far ahead of the competition.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

go spyder, I'm running my stocker for now. School is making me take a mod break(withdrawal twitch) but I support spyder. Very few people have reported problems with Spyder and it can handle virtually anything you throw at it

Quick Reply: Which is the best driveshaft?