Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Summer Time Heat & CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Summer Time Heat & CAI

UPDATE...went to lowes and bought some high heat rubber molding. i put it around the cai box(see pic below) and it seemed to help. i drove around for 30 minutes stopping and starting and 1 time it was abit sluggish. i can understand and deal with a little sluggishness. it being 98 today it shouldnt be any worse than that. if these cars are known for heat soak then what can be done. mine was worse than normal i presume cause of the hood but something needs to be done. hood vents or a different cowl possibly to let some heat out. well we will see. thanks ski for the idea and everyone elses input.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

I live in Laredo, TX where the temperatures get to 102 F (~113 F Heat index) on a daily basis. I have a C&L CAI as my only mod and have not noticed the heat affect the performance of the car as drastically as you say it does (although it is really slow taking off but I hope installing gears fixes that. I am nowhere near a mechanic but it sure does seem that the problem is not the CAI.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:26 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

i am sure its not the cai. steeda sells these things daily. it seems to be a severe heat soak issue possible from the aftermarket cervinis hood i have. it was on the car when i bought it. it has no insulation along with the large center buldge.the engine heat along with the now very hot outside temps appear to be collecting in the center of the hood buldge and not escaping like a stock hood or other brand. since i have sheided the heat some away from the cai it is better. i aways seem to have strange situations. thanks for the input.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

You're welcome. Glad that you were able to lessen the underhood heat's adverse effecton your engine's performance.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 AM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

just thinking of something this morning. before shielding of the cai box with the rubber molding you couldnt even touch the chrome end of the filter. it was untouchably hot. now its just warm after sheilding the engine heat away. the steeda plastic elbow also is extremely hot to the point you cant touch it. is it worth it and will it help the heat soak issue to wrap the elbow with some heat shielding material. any thought? thanks..
Old 06-08-2008, 05:58 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

The air passes thru the intakeextremely fast, even at idle speed, and thus there isinsufficienttime for it toabsorbenough heat from the inside surface of intake in order toadversely affect engine performance. In fact, one owner measured the IAT at the beginning and end of his intake, and the temperature increase was insignificant.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

i was checking out steeda's forum and found this message first in line. sounds very fimilar. here it is...........

hello everyone, my last few posts consisted of a disorganized timeline for me troubleshooting whats giving me a severe case of the...butt. I figured I'd consolidate, reorganize, and lay out the details for everyone If I hope on someone being able to help me get this thorn out of my side.

Ive noticed Im having the same problem other people are having, and I have heard nothing short of a dozen different solutions that worked for everyone else.

background info:
I have an 06 GT with the steeda CAI+elbow, UDPs, catted x-pipe, and steeds axle-backs. Im running 93 octane and Im uding the pre-loaded steeda tune on the SCT tuner that came with the package. Its been running all these things for about half a year now.

the car ran wonderfully for a while. starting a few days ago, it's bogging down on warm days, or after about 10 minutes of driving. It only bogs down when you step on the gas. it just roars and has almost no power. after changing out all the spark plugs, and the coil packs, and a bunch of other small tune ups, the problem was still there.

someone suggested I plug up the tuner and revert it back to stock just to see if theres a difference, I did and all the power came right back, It ran like a champ. I re-tune it for the CAI and such, and the power goes bye-bye.

I would just leave it stock tune, but it sounds like a junkard since I have all the parts on there with no tune, It won't idle right and sounds awful, So for the meantime I'm just leaving the tune on there, letting it run normally and having no acceleration.

this seems to be a topic of heavy debate on countless forums. what really bugs me is that it ran fine for half a year before this started happening.

has anyone found a fix for this yet?

should I take it to a custom shop, throw it on a dyno, and get a good custom tune for it?

should I ask for a new tune from the folks here at steeda?

in the name of all things sacred, someone help me cure my baby. shes only 2 years old and she has her whole life ahead of her.....assuming gas prices stop going up...otherwise she'll have to get dry-docked.

thats the exact same problem i am having. yes mine ended up not being fixed. the molding helped a little but its been too hot here. monday was a record 101. again it only happens after sitting at a long stop light, etc. then a 1/2 a block later after moving when ouside air is coming in it clears up. it doesnt do it otherwise. it also does fineif i take off the cai and put the stock airbox on but keep the tune. maybe its steeda's cai. of course not according to them. just passing along more info. thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 01:37 PM
dbspcl
1st Gear Member

If it is not happening when you go back to the stock airbox, then it is one of two things: the CAI, or the tune. I do not think it is your CAI or your hood - no matter how hot that air gets, it cannot make your car just bog and have no power. So it must be the tune. Quick way to find out - get a Brenspeed one, that way you can get different octane tunes as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have a AiRaid/Roush CAI with a stock tune.
My MSD DashHawk shows AATs and IATs.
At speed the IAT is 5-9 degrees over AAT.
At a stop lightIAT will shoot up about 40-50 degrees
while the AAT stays the same.
If I shut her off and let her sit for about an hour,
the IAT is really high upon start-up but goes down
after driving. It takes a while but it does eventually
get to 5-9 degrees over AAT while cruising.
I dont notice any heat soaking from this on my V6.
The IATs go very high when sitting still but no heat
soakingsymptoms.
I didnt have my DashHawk when the stock airbox
was on to compare IATs.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info everyone. steve at steeda did say his personal mustang temp goes up some 20+ degrees while at a long idle which would put out some heavy engine heat. i did for the hell of it buy the heat reflective wrap and wrap the cai elbow and maf tube. after 2 days of driving the same route from work it barely acted up 1 time. it seems to have helped. also i am going to cover the large buldge in the hood and install a factory hood liner. that should eliminate the hood issue. where is the most reasonable place to buy a hood liner. thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Summer Time Heat & CAI