Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Summer Time Heat & CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Summer Time Heat & CAI

If you're really experiencing 80% power loss, something is seriously wrong. Try to take it to a speed shop to diagnose it.

Heat index was around 110 degrees this week and I didnt' experience anything like an 80% power loss. I have the C&L CAI.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:44 PM
thefrantic1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Summer Time Heat & CAI

for now i know exactly when its going to do it so i baby it off the line til i can get some air coming in then hopefully i am going to national speed for a dyno and tune in a few weeks. from what i have read here the cars that are having issues have the steeda cai and sct tune. could be the problem. we will seesoon.

anybody going to mustang week in myrtle beach next week? i should be there friday and saturday. they are expecting close to 500 stangs in the car show friday.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
jumpinjohn

Default To: thefrantic1

Originally Posted by thefrantic1
i have touched on this subject a few times but now since its 95+ degrees outside i need to figure things out. this is my first new modded car. all others have been carburated. i have a steeda cold air intake. obviously the reasoning behind the cai is more and cooler air makes more power. now summer heat and traffic is here. if i am stopped at a long stop light(5 minutes+) or at a drive through when i first take off the car is dead. no power at all. i would say a 80% power loss. i could floor it and go nowhere. as soon as i get going and get some outside air coming in it clears out until the next lenghty stop. it doesnt do it at short stops. when stopped with no outside air coming in and just hot engine compartment air being sucked into the intake is when it acts up. i know exactly when it will do it.

ok now is that common with cai's? do i need to put my stock air box on in the summer? is there a way to vent the hood of the engine heat without rain water getting in? do i need to move to canada where its never hot? ok just joking on that one. has anyone else had this type of problem?? thanks for any positive info..
I just installed the same Steeda package the other day and I'm having the exact same issue. I have no other mods besides 4.10s. I'm having the exact same outcome with 80% loss in power and loud exhaust note for several moments then it seems to catch and I take off. Also seems to happen only during MODERATE acceleration to pass someone, but works fine when I hit WOT.

I just called Doug and Bama to get a new tune. He said he was familiar with the issue and recommended his torque tune. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I skipped the last couple pages and since its an 08 thread im sure it was resolved but since someone else is having a similar problem i guess i will add on.

If you guys are thinking its because of all the hot air while at idle, why not hook up a blower to bring in some fresh air? Something like an Attwood turbo blower or similar. Most boats use them to vent the bilges with fresh air, so it seems like it would be perfect for the application. and they can be purchased very cheap!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM
jumpinjohn

To thefrantic1:

I've been testing my new tune through Doug at Bama and the bogging issue has totally gone away. So it's not the CAI from Steeda, it's all in the tune.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
mtags24

That really sounds like problem with both heat-soak and the tune. I'm no expert on tuning but it could be that the tune is having trouble accounting for the diminished levels of oxygen entering the engine when the intake air is nice and toasty. So, it really could be that the heat soak is really amplified by a tuning error.

I get heatsoak in my car (not a mustang) and my filter sits right over the boiling tranny. I would estimate I get about a 10% decrease in HP until the engine gets cleaned out and fresh air enters. Even if your intake was as poorly designed as mine, you shouldn't be getting 80% loss due to heatsoak ever.

Also, your intake doesn't really look to be a true "cold air" intake, but rather a short ram intake. I'm new to the boards and see a lot of "CAI"s that would be considered short rams in other car communities. is there a certain pathway of air or something mustang specific that shoots cold air into these filters? When I had a cold air on my lancer it was positioned below the engine bay right next to the wheel to guarantee cold air. I'm guessing this is just my newb status at work. Where does the cold air come from?