Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

GT500 supercharger on a GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT500 supercharger on a GT?

Yea, but I can get the GT500 supercharger with everything listed in the OP for $600. I'm sure there are many good products out on the market, but for thousands of dollars, as opposed to $1,000? C'mon, now......I have to try.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It's not worth the trouble. Adapting that supercharger to fit the 3V will cost far more than just buying a kit that's already been through the R&R.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
RSKtakR
1st Gear Member

ive been wondering this to.. i know the intake manifold would HAVE to be different, and i did read that adam made a different manifold to mate the bigger supercharger on the 4.6.. so i dont see why that same manifold wouldnt work for this application?? even though its a stock supercharger.. some boost is better then NO boost at all.. and i would also MUCH rather spend $1k and have a supercharger instead of $5k like its going to cost for the other aftermarket kits. keep us/me updated on this rugedraw.. because im also very curious about this as well.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:35 PM
RSKtakR
1st Gear Member

this is what i was told today from somone that has a 4.6 in his car w/ the new 3.4L.. "I don't like the idea mainly cause the roots GT500 blower isn't very good. Also, I use the standard whipple lower manifold and the only thing adam fabbed was the intake manifold for it and yes, he probably could do it"
Old 06-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RSKtakR

this is what i was told today from somone that has a 4.6 in his car w/ the new 3.4L.. "I don't like the idea mainly cause the roots GT500 blower isn't very good. Also, I use the standard whipple lower manifold and the only thing adam fabbed was the intake manifold for it and yes, he probably could do it"
I agree that Adam could probably do it, but it would cost a fortune because he'd have to design an adapter kit from scratch. Also, I agree with your source. Roots blowers are garbage. What seems like a good idea at $1K would quickly turn into a $$$$$ nightmare.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:09 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

It wont work and the idea is really retarded. They are two different blocks, not just two different cylinder heads and port configs. Different deck height, different cams and serpentine systems.
The GT500 blower is nothing special. This dude just wants to sell it. Buy it for 600 and spend 2500-3000 to makea manifold?
Why would you spend thousands fabricating a manifold for a second rate blower? Where are you going to get an air intake that fiits it either? Adam can fabricate one too, he charges 1400 for his air intake for the KB. Get real dude.

Just by an aftermarket one for the 4.6 and be done.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:56 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

The responses in this thread are amazing. The OP finds a used GT500 SC cheap and asks can it be used on the GT's 4.6L engine. All he gets is grief and a bunch of useless posts poo-pooing the idea with no real facts. Then someone finally comes along with a legitimate answer as to why it's not a good idea - i.e., the custom fabricated manifold required would be megabucks - and he calls the guy a retard. C'mon - grow up people. That's why these boards are here. So someone without your knowledge can learn, not be called names.

Martin
Old 06-20-2008, 08:44 PM
RSKtakR
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mx07gt

Adam @ ST Motorsports sells the 3.4 Whipple designed for the GT500 to fit the 4.6, so give him a call, and that should make you happy if you want to make stupid power with a GT
zkiller ... did you read this post?? i DO see your point.. however wouldnt it be a possibility to get the roots blower, "kit" persay, from wherever, then get the manifold that we know adam has allready made, and also made GREAT #'s withon Marks car that is a 4.6L w/ the manifold we are talking about mated to the 3.4L (even on a modest tune) put it on a 4.6 run it for however long, then if said person desides to upgrade to the 3.4L later on the they would need that manifold anyways, so it would be needed anyways at some point in time if you plan on actually USING the potential of the 3.4L the ONLY reason i would even contemplate this is because its not like your going to put more then 10psi through a stock 4.6 anyways right? on 91 pump? i know i wouldnt (w/out metanol inj).. so its not like i would need anything bigger then the gt500 supercharger..i KNOW that the whipple or KB is the way to go.. but bang for the buck is it really worth not even looking to or trying?? im sure most other guys that have posted on this thread know MUCH more about all the differences in the 4.6 and the 5.4 then i do.. but if the manifold isallready being used on certain cars would the rest of the parts needed to make it work properly. and i remember when i was ALWAYS told that you cant put the blowzilla from the gen1 lighting on a 5.0 mustang gt. but everyone telling me this had never tried it, they didnt know what to say really when they saw the blowzilla mated to the 5.0 and running. and i have another question while we are at it..isnt the gt500s/c somewhat the same as the terminator s/c?? dont those s/c's get ported sometimesbefore people upgrade to the whipple or kb making MUCH better #'s then stock? ((((((waiting for the bashing to begin..so be gentle ..LOL)))))))
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Should be no bashing and chill on the name calling zkiller as it is not necessary and uncalled for. Back to the topic at hand which seems to have been answered...... Hope I dont have to[sm=lockeddance.gif]
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Bird1606
1st Gear Member

I too am really interested in this. I can get a GT500 blower for $550. If the manifold cost me $3k, I'm still getting boost for $2000 lower than anything else out there, and on my budget, that's huge. It seems like this still hasn't been fully answered.

Quick Reply: GT500 supercharger on a GT?