Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Saleen SC Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

Default Saleen SC Install Question

Hi everyone,

For the past few weeks I have been going over the installation instructions, browsing the forums for tips, making sure I have all the tools, and other stuff for the install of a Saleen S/C onto an 07 GT. One question that has been bugging me, for those who have installed the supercharger kit themselves, how exactly did you refill the coolantinto the car radiator and the S/C heat exchangerafter everything was installed?

The updated instructions for the install of the kit on a 2007from saleen's website seems to have a few typo's in reference to the pictures. But it appears to me that they're using the pressure test tool to do this. How exactly does a pressure test pump do anything more than test the radiator for leaks?

Anyways, I was chompin at the bit to ask that question because I was thinking about installing the kit myself as I've heard some folks on here said they had a great time doing it. I have some experience with working on cars; however, I have no experience with changing engine coolant/filling radiators/heat exchangers.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC Install Question

The HE will burp itself when you run the waterpump. I have the JDM relay with the switch under the hood. I filled the reservoir, turned on the pump, let the water go down, shut it off, filled it and so on until it was full. I then ran the pump for a bit until it pushed all the water through.

Filling the radiator is essentialy the same thing, except you use the inlets on top of the water crossover. Take the screw on caps off the cross over and fill the reservoir, then start the car allowing the water to start flowing through the system and stop filling when the water is level with the holes in the crossover. Cap them off and finish filling the reservoir if needed.

If your IATs and/or temps are a bit high after driving the car, you may have to burp the system again. I didn't have any problems with the above procedure.

However, in reference to the pressure tester...not needed, but not a bad idea. I kept smelling coolant for a few days after the install and found my radiator reservoir almost empty. Got under the car and had coolant everywhere. Put the pressure tester on and heard where the water/air was coming out of. It was the little POS hose which connects from the heater hoses to the S/C. The crappy OEM clamp wasn't holding pressure. I had to pull the S/C off to fix it. I used a hose clamp instead.

You can get a pressure tester at Autozone on loan. Remember to get the adaptor for it to mate with the reservoir.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot for your input. Sounds easy enough. Although I think that alot of the instructions will make more sense when I'm actually working on the installation andhave the car apart to look at,ratherthan reading and trying to interpret their pictures.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

Got a couple more questions...

1st...Trying to figure out which tools I need to purchase...

In the instructions Saleen calls for "allen tool" what exactly do they mean by that? Are they talking about allen wrenches? Sockets with allen bits in them?Or just plainsockets?

2nd...When installing a bung into the exhaust manifold for the wideband a/f gauge, how does the whole "o'clock" thing work? For example, I heard to place the bung between 10 and 2 o'clock. When I go to the exhaust shop to have them install one, would they understand what I'm talking about if I just ask them to weldabung at 2 o'clock. Or will I get arrested for soliciting sex?

-Thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trapeze

Got a couple more questions...

1st...Trying to figure out which tools I need to purchase...

In the instructions Saleen calls for "allen tool" what exactly do they mean by that? Are they talking about allen wrenches? Sockets with allen bits in them?Or just plainsockets?

2nd...When installing a bung into the exhaust manifold for the wideband a/f gauge, how does the whole "o'clock" thing work? For example, I heard to place the bung between 10 and 2 o'clock. When I go to the exhaust shop to have them install one, would they understand what I'm talking about if I just ask them to weldabung at 2 o'clock. Or will I get arrested for soliciting sex?

-Thanks
LOL...On the second question, see the pic.

Yeah, in the instructions they're talking about allen wrenches.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21363/ACCBBD2BA0A747EDB58A2108A5BE0094.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for your help,I've been on vacation for a while and have just now had a chance to look at the forums.

For my next question, it concerns the actual installation instructions located on the Saleen Website. They seem to only have instructions for installation of the S/C on a 2005 mustang. I thought, well it's ok, there are probably only slight changes (if any) between the 05 and 07 motor.However, I noticedtheheater hoses and cross-over set up seems to be completely different on my 07 compared to the 05.On the 05 there are two heater hoses going in to either side of the crossover; however, on the 07 there is only one hose that runs from the passenger side of the radiator to the driver side of the crossover. There isn't anyhose or openingon the passenger side of the crossover. Why doesn't Saleen update their instructions for 07+ models?

I have also found many typo's where figures referenced in the instruction are either referenced wrong or not referenced at all;tools arearbitrarily listed in the directions (19mm wrench needed to remove radiator plug) butare not posted in the toolssection at the beginning.

This is making me nervous and I'mworried I'll install something incorrectly because the instructions I'm following are not updated.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

The install is challenging but manageable. I did the s/c and a bunch of other install stuff and it took me 4-5 days of hard labor. Get every tool that they recommend having too. It makes the work easier.

I took sooo many pics and am doing a lengthy write up. Should complete it by end of week and post it.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Trapeze
1st Gear Member

That would be great! Can't wait to see your write up. I was thinking of doing the same thing when I installed mine (because black and white pictures suck).However, when I realized Saleen's instructions were incorrect in parts in regards to the 07 model, it got me worrying too much about taking my only car out of commission for days while I try to figure out what the instructions are trying to tell me.I wasn't sure if I'd install one at all.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the $6,500 price tag for the kit, tools, gauges, etc.tells me Saleen should be a little more organized with updating their website formodel yearspecific instructions than this.

Is it true that you no longer install the water pump timer?If so why do they still include the installation in their instructions?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 AM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trapeze

That would be great! Can't wait to see your write up. I was thinking of doing the same thing when I installed mine (because black and white pictures suck).However, when I realized Saleen's instructions were incorrect in parts in regards to the 07 model, it got me worrying too much about taking my only car out of commission for days while I try to figure out what the instructions are trying to tell me.I wasn't sure if I'd install one at all.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but the $6,500 price tag for the kit, tools, gauges, etc.tells me Saleen should be a little more organized with updating their website formodel yearspecific instructions than this.

Is it true that you no longer install the water pump timer?If so why do they still include the installation in their instructions?
After freaking out that it wasn't with my kit, and after calling Saleen, Brenspeed, UGM, and posting here on MF, I found out that the pump timer is no longer included in the kit. So essentially steps 126-131 (or something like that) of the saleen instructions do not matter and are outdated. There is a long wire with the water pump timer on one end and a fuse and wire on the other end. the harness plugs into the water pump and the wire is routed through the engine bay throught the fender liner and into the passenger footwell.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Don't scare yourself out of doing the install. I did a whipple HO in two days with no issues and I've heard from many people that the Saleen is even easier.