Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Granatelli CAI, tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli CAI, tuner ?

There isn't much difference between cold air intakes. You're only talking a few horsepower difference between the "best" and the "worst". The most horsepower for your intake would be a stock MAF and a 93 octane tune.

Check out this article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ck_airbox.html

Notice that the C&L gains 25 hp and 20 lbs ft of torque. Notice that the K&N gains 18 hp and 15 lbs ft. The K&N doesn't even have a larger MAF housing and it's still pretty close. I guess the factory intake is so restrictive you can get great gains with almost anything.

In the real world you won't feel 7 hp and 5 lbs ft of torque. Chances are those differences are way up there, too. Probably above 4k rpm.

You'll probably loose $200 or so selling your intake and purchasing a new one. It's just not worth it in the end.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

There isn't much difference between cold air intakes. You're only talking a few horsepower difference between the "best" and the "worst". The most horsepower for your intake would be a stock MAF and a 93 octane tune.

Check out this article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ck_airbox.html

Notice that the C&L gains 25 hp and 20 lbs ft of torque. Notice that the K&N gains 18 hp and 15 lbs ft. The K&N doesn't even have a larger MAF housing and it's still pretty close. I guess the factory intake is so restrictive you can get great gains with almost anything.

In the real world you won't feel 7 hp and 5 lbs ft of torque. Chances are those differences are way up there, too. Probably above 4k rpm.

You'll probably loose $200 or so selling your intake and purchasing a new one. It's just not worth it in the end.

you are right man thanks for the advise i just ordered a tuner from brenspeed and will put stock MAF on.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: bolivianpimp

Apparently bama tunes cannot make a tune b/c of some bull like they might get sued... However brenspeed said they can make one if i take the MAF sensor out and put stock back on. Will this set up give me the same hp than if i would have got say a c&l? B/c i am considering selling my granatelli if not....
It's all bull until one of brenspeeds customers doesn't know how to read or follow instructions and ruins their motor. Then that customer will be all pissed off at brenspeed and will sue. I think its a smart move on Bama's part if he doesn't want that additional risk. Besides granatelli intakes are not that common from what i've seen on this formum or in general. If brenspeed wants to rely more on their customers (and addedrisk)that's fine.

I wouldn't sweat a sponser for that, I would just find one that does what I want them to do and call it a day. Noneed to bash one.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: bolivianpimp

Apparently bama tunes cannot make a tune b/c of some bull like they might get sued... However brenspeed said they can make one if i take the MAF sensor out and put stock back on. Will this set up give me the same hp than if i would have got say a c&l? B/c i am considering selling my granatelli if not....
It's all bull until one of brenspeeds customers doesn't know how to read or follow instructions and ruins their motor. Then that customer will be all pissed off at brenspeed and will sue. I think its a smart move on Bama's part if he doesn't want that additional risk. Besides granatelli intakes are not that common from what i've seen on this formum or in general. If brenspeed wants to rely more on their customers (and addedrisk)that's fine.

I wouldn't sweat a sponser for that, I would just find one that does what I want them to do and call it a day. Noneed to bash one.
First of all, the bull is not from bama but from granatelli. Its bull what granatelli tells bama about them being sued. Second, i already ordered my tuner from Brenspeed so im happy