Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission Crossmember removal? PIC*

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Transmission Crossmember removal? PIC*

* Im tearing into the bottomside of my car now, have the bellhousing bolts removed, starter off, driveshaft off, shifter off, and i have a jack under now holding the trans waiting to take off the crossmember to lean it down. But.... The crossmember seems to have atrick to taking if off. Im tring to take the least amount apart so i can get it back together easy/quicker. If i take out the 4 bolts for the crossmember, i should be able to slide it forward, but it hits the trans , if i slide it back it hangs on the exhaust h pipe hangers. Anyone have any idea on a quick way to pull this off, or do i have to pull lthe exhaust down a tad by loosening above the cats, just to be able to wiggle this out? -Jon

I was out there looking at it some more and it seems the last thing i have left is the crossmember. I decided to add a pic to help. If i slide the crossmember backwards, it hits the exhaust hanger, if i slide it forward, it hits the transmission. I tried to raise the trans, but thats still connected to the engine and raises the exhaust with it. I know you can do it without removing the exhaust and i cant tilt the trans w/ the crossmember still on. If the exhaust hangers were the opposite way, it would slide right off, but its kinda interlocking. Any
ideas?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Crossmember removal? PIC*

I was hoping i would have to crack the exhaust loose, but i took off the Upper Hpipe bolts that go to the manifolds and that was enough to drop it down to getcrossmember out. Now i lower the trans 3-4 inches down and the hydrualic fitting is still connected to the drivers side of the trans, anyone know how to disconnect these of do i gotta spend 25 mins on my back figuring this out? -Jon