Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Problems with spec stage 2+

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I got a Spec 2 not a 2+ and have liked it so far. Only about 1k miles on it but, so far, so good. I would also be disappointed if SPEC were not to try and fix the problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

MM don't have a 2+ but my 2 seems fine hasn't given me any problems at all =/
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyZealot
Got my aluminum flywheel and spec stage 2+ clutch installed.

Must say it feels horrible. The car is alot tougher to go into gear then it use to be both from a stop and especially from shifting at higher RPMS.

Even getting the car out of gear does not feel like it use to. its rough as if i dont even have the clutch pushed in. When shifting there is a small delay even once the clutch pedal is already completely let out where the rpms will drop before they start to climb again.

I sat there and pumped the pedal for 30 minutes so i dont know anything else i can do.

Any ideas? It is a OEM throw out/slave. Was purchased new from ford same time i put the clutch in
first let me say STOP!! Don't spend any more time or money on your Specs setup, you have the exact same setup I had (notice the had). I spent over 2k trying to fix my f()cking shifting problem (not including the new Mcleod setup), I now have a Mcleod RST twin disc, Mcleod billet steel flywheel, and Mcleod TOB and so far the car shifts great, pedal feels great, clutch is quite and no chatter, still have not made any WOT pulls (only 350miles on clutch so far), but I don't think there will be any problems. I am listing all of the things I have tried or paid someone to install to fix the problem.

Replaced stock TOB= 3 times
Specs shim= which they claimed I did not need
Bleed clutch system= at least 5 not counting the times the trans was pulled
Shifters tried=Hurst, Pro5.0, Stock, back to Pro5.0
Master cylinder= 1
Pilot Bearing= 1
CHE K-Member brace w/torque limiters
Prothane Motor Mounts
Mcleod TOB= failed due to over extending
I am sure I am missing a couple of things.

Bottom line is the SpecsII+ is a POS, and their employees/customer service is crap, and they treat their customers who call with a complaint like we are a bunch of fricking monkeys and have no idea what we are talking about. If I were you, I would remove your specs setup and throw it in the damn garbage because that is exactly what it is trash.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I have never been 100% satisfied with my SPEC II. It grabs and pulls well enough, but it still shudders after 2,500 miles.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I feel your pain. Going start my own thread about my clutch fiasco. To put it in a couple of words, the spec 2+ clutch BLOWS
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
I have never been 100% satisfied with my SPEC II. It grabs and pulls well enough, but it still shudders after 2,500 miles.
Even the twin discs shudder. I don't think you'll find a stronger than stock clutch that doesn't.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

My RST has very little shutter, I think what it does have will go away as it breaks in.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
My RST has very little shutter, I think what it does have will go away as it breaks in.
My SPEC II has always only had a very faint shudder. (In low RPMs in 3rd and 4th gear.) It wouldn't bother me except theat when I spoke to SPEC, they promised me it would go away with time.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
My SPEC II has always only had a very faint shudder. (In low RPMs in 3rd and 4th gear.) It wouldn't bother me except theat when I spoke to SPEC, they promised me it would go away with time.

Mine still shudders below 2k rpms (I hesitate to even call it a shudder because you can't feel it, but you hear it), most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd. Maybe it would have gone away if I broke it in differently, but I doubt it. I did a lot of downshifting during break in, which is the way I normally drive.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM
ShadyZealot
2nd Gear Member

So even after having it bleed by ford and them say the bleed was ok but road test not ok spec is no help. Nothing resolved yet... They still claim there is air in the lines.

Guess its time to cut my losses. So what clutch should i got with?

Quick Reply: Problems with spec stage 2+