Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear end chatter...need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
ninjadave

Default Rear end chatter...need help!!!

Alright here's the problem. Have an Auto GT and installed 3.73 FRPP gears and Spydershaft. All done at the dealership since I was away with work (wife's daily driver). Also installed some suspension components when I got home and a new FRPP rear girdle cover since I was draining the rear fluid anyways to get rid of the flakes from initial break in. After about 500 miles there is a grinding sound but not during turns or deacceleration anything just when its stopped at a light. It seems like once the rear end gets to operating temperature it makes a real loud chatter if its in gear and sitting stopped. If I put it in neutral it goes away. I took it back to the dealership and had the mechanic drive with me so he could see what I'm saying. Well my job takes me back away for 3 months so it goes to the shop right as I leave. The dealership tells my wife they changed the fluid, checked all bolts to include my suspension upgrades and they can't find anything wrong with it. Wife says its still making the noise. I'm home next week and want to fix it. Dealership has been great, not charged us for anything except for the initial install.

So any thoughts as to why it only makes chatter (and its LOUD) while in gear with brakes on and not in neutral? I've searched the forums and cannot find an answer. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

So, are you saying you're sitting at a light with the clutch pedal pressed down and the shifter in first gear position and you're getting a noise?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
ninjadave

Default Rear Chatter

It's an automatic. Yeah sitting at a light and it makes a chattering sound almost as if something is loose, but if I put it in neutral the chatter goes away. As soon as I put it back into drive it starts back up. Only does it sitting at a light after warmed up. Not at turns, slowing rpms, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the rear end will not make noise if you are not moving. sounds like a heat shield rattle to me. check under the vehicle for anything loose.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

yeah i would say heat shield or torque converter. it has nothing to do with your rear end if you are sitting still.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 AM
ninjadave

Default Okay

So the heat shield would rattle if it is in drive but not in neutral? And only after about 10 minutes of heating up but not when its cold?

I was thinking torque converter which is something I hadn't checked but I'd never heard or even thought of the heat shield since it only happens when its in drive and not neutral. Torque converter though could be the issue. I'm home in a week and will check.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM
ninjadave

Default Solved the issue...

It was the exhaust bracket on the drivers side. The rubber grommet inside was wider and allowing it to move freely to the body and rub against the rear metal bumper support. A dremel and 10 minutes solved the problem!!! Thanks for all the responses.