Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aftercharge cooler add to supercharger?

Old 09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
oldguy05gt

Default Aftercharge cooler add to supercharger?

I've got an '05 GT with Vortech supercharger. In their catalog I see there is an 'aftercharge cooler' that claims to add 40 hp and is easy to install for a 'shade-tree mechanic' - per their customer service tech.

If you believe Fords hp rating on the 05 Mustang GT, they say 300 hp which I don't believe.. standard industry behavior. But just for arguments sake let's say I have a 300 hp stock GT to start with and added the Vortech SC which claims to add 100 hp (which I do believe).

So does anyone have experience with adding the Vortech aftercharge cooler to a supercharged GT. I kind of understand what they're supposed to do, but couldn't really explain it well to someone else - something like a spray of water mist cools the charge for the next intake by about 100 degrees, making it both cooler and denser so it can hold more fuel/air mixture which adds about 40 hp. Hmm... Wow? I would then have a 440 hp GT?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

First of all, horsepower can be rated two different ways, bhp (brake horse power) and whp (wheel horse power). Brake horsepower is the power that the engine produces and that is what all auto manufacturers post on their websites and such. Ford is not lieing about horsepower ratings. Wheel horsepower is measured on a chassis dyno and it is lower than bhp because the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain are only around 85-90% efficient. That means that if you take your bhp and multiply it by .85, you have your whp. Most people on here dyno around 265rwhp which is a 12% drivetrain loss. Second of all, superchargers compress air which creates a ton of heat. The hotter the air is that's coming into your engine, the more likely you are to have premature detonation. Intercoolers and aftercoolers are like a radiator for your intake air. After the air is compressed by the supercharger, it is sent through the intercooler or aftercooler and the temperature drops significantly. This allows you to advance your timing and create more power.