Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

stock torque converter...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default stock torque converter...

how much power can the stock converter handle?

can afford only the whipple h.o. kit + installation but not the converter just yet...

granted I won't be launching the car hard any time soon with that kit,should it be okay for daily driving and getting on it from a roll??

plan on running 8 psi at the most...
Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

You wont have any problems.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

my 05GT was running with a saleen s/c, LT headers etc with 422 rwhp/ 416 torque on stock converter. our trannies and their components are rated at 360 hp i believe...my ran with the stock converter for about 1 year and 1/2 before I sold it. I drove it pretty freaking spirited. however never visited a track....the new owner has owned it 3 months and snapped the input shaft....so you should be fine.....good luck...
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I am thinking hard launches/burn outs is what would kill it.
not sure but I will also try to get a tune from bama to make 3rd shift a little less aggressive if possible.

I might even consider the standard 6 psi 415 hp non-intercooled kit then upgrade later,it's $2k less then the H.O. and still makes great power.Advertised as 415hp but I assume it'll be something like 380-390whp (auto)

unless it is (415)whp then I'd be set with that kit for awhile..
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I am thinking hard launches/burn outs is what would kill it.
not sure but I will also try to get a tune from bama to make 3rd shift a little less aggressive if possible.

I might even consider the standard 6 psi 415 hp non-intercooled kit then upgrade later,it's $2k less then the H.O. and still makes great power.Advertised as 415hp but I assume it'll be something like 380-390whp (auto)

unless it is (415)whp then I'd be set with that kit for awhile..
I also was running 8 psi.... it was fine believe me...allot of people are running even more power with stock TC....I did quite a few hard launches, my issue was I had no traction..which actually extended the life of my input shaft as when it snapped on my car I think (NOT 100% sure) the new owner was running drag radials with allot more traction etc than my kumho 18 inch tires on there....the 415 kit is BHP or crank horsepower...get the HO kit with the intercooler...it is a very worthwhile investment that keeps your IAT and engine running a little bit cooler than the non intercooled...depending on where you live that may be worse for your engine...just my 2 cents...but get the ho kit...get a good tuner...tell the tuner what you want etc etc...you could go years without issue,,,,good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

NOICE!~

now all I have to do is find a good shop to install it.

(-:

hopefully for only a G or so..maybe less.

the real killer is the shipping and installation..sucks being in AK.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

20 passes so far, all is good. Best time thus far is 11.8's.
Your stock T/C will be easier on the input shaft than an aftermarket T/C. The input shaft, as well as 3rd gear are the "weak links" in these tranny's. For a little more piece of mind I would change your fluid to Amsoil or Redline if you haven't already. A larger pan is available and a few people are using it, however, I have not heard of a stock 5R55, properly filled, blowing up due to a lack of adequate fluid volume. So spend your money wisely.

Last edited by drbobvs; 09-18-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I burned up 3rd gear myself in my auto tranny. All fixed now lol
Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drbobvs
20 passes so far, all is good. Best time thus far is 11.8's.
Your stock T/C will be easier on the input shaft than an aftermarket T/C. The input shaft, as well as 3rd gear are the "weak links" in these tranny's. For a little more piece of mind I would change your fluid to Amsoil or Redline of you haven't already. An larger pan is available and a few people are using it, however, I have not heard of a stock 5R55, properly filled, blowing up due to a lack of adequate fluid volume. So spend your money wisely.

thanks for the info.

how is the stocker easier on the input shaft/tranny than an aftermarket one?

To make up for the difference in high stall converter launch would it be wise to install the 4.10 gears instead of a converter or would that be pushing my luck?

still have the gears just sitting in the closet.

would be nice to be running high 11s next summer.

(-:
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

With the lower stall on the stock T/C, you will launch at lower rpms = lower amt of torque at launch = less stress. Torque is what will break the shaft. Yes, 4.10's will get you up and going that much quicker, as long as 1)you have the traction, and 2) you don't mind the hwy RPM levels.

Other than the above mentioned fluid change, I'm running a stock tranny. So far so good. I had a 3000 stall converter in there for about a month but wasn't happy with the feel. I know some people love them but it just wasn't for me. BTW, 1 month old T/C for sale, best offer!

Last edited by drbobvs; 09-18-2008 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: stock torque converter...