Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2008 GT Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
cooter_slackjaw

Default 2008 GT Exhaust System

Hi all, I have just moved over from the UK and have just bought my first Mustang, I have a 2008 Mustang GT. I have dreamt of owning a Mustang for longer than I can remember however they are difficult to get hold of and expensive as hell in the UK. Anyway, I love everything about the car and very happy with my purchase, however the only thing I would like to improve is the exhaust sound. To be honest I was expecting a little more grunt from the exhaust that I get. I am not very mechanical at all and tend to leave working on vehicles to those who know what they are doing, so I am looking for some advice on what would be a good aftermarket exhasut to get and have fitted?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a crazy loud one, just a bit louder and more of the classic 60's/70's sounding pipes? If possible? And a HP increase would also be a bonus!

Any advice as to where to get a new set of pipes would be much appreciated! Have a great holiday everyone!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
CorruptedDemon60
2nd Gear Member

the borla stingers are a great choice. very popular muffler.
another setup is the pypes mid-muffler setup. more difficult to install but been told it sounds like that classic mustang sound.
i recommend checking out www.brenspeed.com they have both and many more systems. give them a call and they will help you out.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

borla and corsa have probably been voted as having the best sound, but they can be rather expensive. i have ford racing's gta axleback and love the sound; i think they sound a little more 'old school' and aren't obnoxiously loud, but i think they could sound deeper (adding shorty headers will deepen the sound, though, if you want to go that route). again, pypes' mid mufflers will give you the classic 2v sound, but they are apparently rather difficult to install properly. but, overall, everyone has different 'tastes'. try this site (http://www.mustangexhaust.com/) or even youtube; you'll be able to find a lot of different exhaust sounds to listen to. good luck

Last edited by Xeno; 11-26-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Spaunen
Banned

SLP LOUDMOUTHS WITH STOCK H PIPE YOU WILL HAVE A CLASSIC MUSCLE CAR SOUND, VISIT S197FORUM.COM
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

I have Magnaflow catback. Not too loud sounds good when you walk on it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

pypes mid mufflers sound good, better w/ a o/r mid pipe. i think if you keep the stock cats go w/ muffler deletes like loudmouth or MBRP or boomtubes for a nice deep rumble. the axle backs are super easy to install, easiest mod next to the CAI.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by cooter_slackjaw
Hi all, I have just moved over from the UK and have just bought my first Mustang, I have a 2008 Mustang GT. I have dreamt of owning a Mustang for longer than I can remember however they are difficult to get hold of and expensive as hell in the UK. Anyway, I love everything about the car and very happy with my purchase, however the only thing I would like to improve is the exhaust sound. To be honest I was expecting a little more grunt from the exhaust that I get. I am not very mechanical at all and tend to leave working on vehicles to those who know what they are doing, so I am looking for some advice on what would be a good aftermarket exhasut to get and have fitted?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a crazy loud one, just a bit louder and more of the classic 60's/70's sounding pipes? If possible? And a HP increase would also be a bonus!

Any advice as to where to get a new set of pipes would be much appreciated! Have a great holiday everyone!

How many miles on the car? When I first drove my 08 I was VERY disappointed in how quiet it was. After about 3-4 thousand miles (6-7 thousand kilometers) It sounded MUCH better.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:48 PM
cooter_slackjaw

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really like the sound... and price of the SLP Loudmouth system from what I have heard on Youtube etc. Will I notice an increase in performance if it I fit this axle back pipe? Or will it be quite subtle?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You really want to listen live/in person to a few of the systems/mufflers that people have suggested. Sound clips only give an approximate idea, kind of like listening to somebody's voice as recorded on a cheapie tape recorder. It's sort of there, but a lot of the sound's "character" gets lost.

If you're only interested in just a little louder, the GTAs will probably be satisfactory. 50-state drive-by legal, if that matters. For your sound preferences, do NOT get an X-pipe.

Norm
Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Awesome combo is O/R Prochamber and Magnapacks. I can best describe the sound a cross between a 60s V8 mustang w/o the cam lope and a 2V mustang.

Quick Reply: 2008 GT Exhaust System