Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cams...FRPP vs. Comp Thumpr

Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Default Cams...FRPP vs. Comp Thumpr

I want to put cams in next and was trying to decide between these two. Any thoughts or experiance with either? What r u running and do you like your choice? Any numbers or vids of your car? Thanks!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

What exactly are you looking for from the cams?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:17 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

guess i should have stated that, sorry. Broke my right hand on a fire at work (firefighter) so typing with one hand is long process so was tryin to keep it short. Bassically i like the sound of the cams and i would also like some performance gains for that price as well. i am gettin 4.10s installed next friday, and have full exhaust minus headers (still deciding LTs or shorty) which depends on if i decide a blower is in future plans. I also have CAI and Diablo tuner so my add ons thusfar are minor. The cams...i want a great sound that is fearsome and some gains for the track too. Are they easy to do or should i find a shop to install? Which cams are more capable of handling more add ons and such? thanks for your help everyone.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 PM
chad9350

Default tough choice, indeed

take your time, research, and keep in mind which direction you are going with mods and what is best for YOU.

Good luck
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

lots of videos on you tube for the hot rod cams. i'll be installing them as soon as all the parts get here.

as far as the other questions are concerned, it all depends on how much money, how much work you can do yourself, and what your ultimate goals are as to which direction you should go.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:45 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Chad, nice build! i like the all motor way...impressive. can u tell me more of your build and experiances with it all..cost and such too. whats the elevation at the track?
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
chad9350

Alt. I guess about 200 or so; SE Texas (Evadale and Houston tracks). search chad05gt on Utube and the videos are there....

Just making MY car; Steeda Full Suspension (Race UCA/LCA relocators, etc.), DSpecs, drivetrain in sig.

I can put what power I make to the ground, safely Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow . When I changed heads, cams; I changed tensioners, guides, chains, phasers, etc... everything is new but short block. After 50K and getting to the track once or twice a month; better safe than sorry.

Suggestions: do as much yourself as you can, and make sure you know what you are getting.

Get to the track and see first hand what works, what gets hot, what breaks, etc... You get what you pay for, and be careful of 'used' performance parts.

Look at it this way, the after/performance market is improving/evolving... be GLAD you cant get it all now, b/c in 3 months its 'old' parts! LOL

Last edited by chad9350; 10-07-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

wow thats good altitude, i wont expect to get your results at my altitude but you have impressive times. I will look you up on youtube, curious to hear your car. Where did u get your heads? did u do it yourself? what are your parts u put in the shortblock? Sorry kinda learnin this motor as i go and from reading.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 AM
chad9350

Heads from Rick at Livernois, installed myself, stock shortblock

My car does not lope, it has a slightly heavier rumble than stock... just a little different from stock. I didnt want it to lope.

Last edited by chad9350; 10-08-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Did u notice a big gain from the heads and cams?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cams...FRPP vs. Comp Thumpr