Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Are all LT headers street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Default Are all LT headers street legal?

so im looking to getting headers this winter. I was just curious if LTS with a catted H pipe will make me fail emissions? i figured with the cats i should be OK but just making sure before i go out and drop the money on them.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

not really sure about this. i'm curious though...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you should be able to pass with cats on there
Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

It's is technically a violation of Federal Emissions law to do *anything* w/ stock factory catalytic converters, i.e. move them, replace them w/ other than stock, change the factory location, etc.

Although you may pass the OBDII test and/or sniffer test, a visual inspection could be a downfall if someone is looking for it carefully.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
It's is technically a violation of Federal Emissions law to do *anything* w/ stock factory catalytic converters, i.e. move them, replace them w/ other than stock, change the factory location, etc.

Although you may pass the OBDII test and/or sniffer test, a visual inspection could be a downfall if someone is looking for it carefully.
the check engine light wouldnt come on would it?..if so, you can always fix that with a tuner right?..also curious about getting some headers
Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
the check engine light wouldnt come on would it?..if so, you can always fix that with a tuner right?..also curious about getting some headers
Light/check that causes it can be tuned out. It's the visual inspection that's the sticking point although I've never heard of anyone outside of CA getting boned on that one. Shorty headers are OK as they retain the stock location of the cats (as well as the stock cats)

Headers not so much illegal as is doing *anything* w/ the stock cats.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I think the law actually gives room in allowing you to replace an emission component with one that exceeds the factory specification. It really depends on how they do the test in the state you live in though. Illinois just does an ODB test.

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1

Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

you can kill the CEL with a tuner, however when i did that i failed, not because of being catless, cuz at the time i just had an axleback but the test couldnt be completed cuz the obd2 couldnt detect the cats/o2s. So i had to turn them on to pass the test.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

sweetlou69, I'm not sure where you are located, but I did a little searching for myself, and thought I'd post it for anyone else in the area. I live in Houston, TX and we have annual inspections of the vehicle. Both visual and OBD. As far as exhaust/exhaust emissions systems go, this is how it is here.

"20.14 Exhaust Emission System. The owner or operator of any new motor vehicle or new motor vehicle engine beginning with the model year 1968 equipped with an exhaust emission system shall maintain the exhaust emission system in good operable condition and shall use it at all times that the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated. The owner or operator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine...

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. The exhaust emission system has been removed.

b. The exhaust emission system has been disconnected.

c. The plumbing or hoses are loose, broken, leaking, or improperly routed.

d. Air pump (air injection-type) belt is loose, removed, excessively cracked, frayed or has pieces missing.

e.The exhaust emission system has been altered in any manner to make it ineffective.

f. The catalytic converter has been removed, leaking, or disconnected on a 1984 or later model vehicle."

"20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation...

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle."

The OBD code thing is another concern, and that will have to be addressed by your tuner. Many LT headers move the 02 sensor further down stream, so it tends to cause problems unless the tune compensates for that. With a good tune, you should have no problems getting codes, and should be able to keep the sensors operating.