Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Other cams are not an option at this point since I have already paid the dealer for the hot rod cams... so telling me what cam I should buy is not going to help. I am really interested in experiences from those that have this combination. With this set-up, my intention is not to worry about going for the all out performance.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ
Other cams are not an option at this point since I have already paid the dealer for the hot rod cams... so telling me what cam I should buy is not going to help. I am really interested in experiences from those that have this combination. With this set-up, my intention is not to worry about going for the all out performance.
Sorry... after posting that and reading it again, it may have sounded harsh. That was not my intent. I just am already committed at this point and my options are limited. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Why can't you take the hot rods out of the wrecked foose?

BTW, that sucks your old one got boned.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

mylocaldj I replied to your pm. Look guys these cams are great for what they are. You don't have to change springs and you don't really need lockouts. So right there you are saving yourself alot of green and if you were planning to do it yourself then you are saving yourself alot of frustration by getting these also. These cams may not get you 50 more hp but they will give you some hp and most importantly they will give you a sound that is very unique. Not many S197's around here sound like my car, lol. So no springs no lockouts a little power and an awesome old school sound is what you can expect with these cams.
Now for people who are like Hammeron, Mylocaldj,Vcoat and myself that have a s/c, these cams would not be an ideal choice if we were going for all out power. Just because of the kind of grind these cams have. But we all want that OLD SCHOOL sound and for me I love the attention. I love sitting at a stop light and having people look at my car and I love seeing them role down there windows to get a better listen. So if you have or will have a s/c you have to ask yourself what goal are you trying to acomplish by buying a set of cams. Sound? All out power? Another reason why I choose these is because I was already pushing my motor to the max with the s/c I already had. So that is why I didn't really care to much about power. Just as long as I didn't loose enough to feel the difference. But I gained 20rwhp and lost 20rwtq. To be honest I feel no change in power. I do however hear a big difference in sound. The car seems louder after installing these cams and that was my personal goal when installing these cams. So choose your cams wisely.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+10000

mustanglouie, this is the absolute best writeup/review
i have read on the FI + Hot Rod issue......i wish this post
could be a sticky all by itself.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

thanks ham it is hard to put into words what you want to say sometimes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Okay, today was productive. We took the new Foose in for the dyno tune and the car performed very well for a brand new car with around 200 miles on it. The numbers came in at 424HP and the torque was 391. Boost was about 8 lbs.

New Foose Mods are the FRPP (Whipple) polished SC, FRPP Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, FRPP Hot Rod Cams (P/N M-6550-3V). Also installed FRPP Chrome Valve Covers, Nexus Wideband AFM, Nexus Fuel Pressure Gauge, Nexus Vac/Boost Gauge, and used the Speed Of Sound dashpod.

Very happy with the response. I think the idle will probably need a slight adjustment, but otherwise the car performs great.

Here is a clip of the dyno run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z3ELnFKVNM

I will try and have the dyno printout scanned tomorrow and then will post.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it sounds fantastic Victor and your dyno numbers
look really nice too
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Looks like you have a two tone now. I also like your gauge cluster in the center of the dash.

Yeah and it sounds great too!

Gotta love 'dem hot rods.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:16 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. It is back over at the tuner today for a revision. It was running a little rich but should not be a big deal. Since everyone has been so patiently and actively inputting into this thread, I thought I would post a few pictures of this untamed beast.
Attached Thumbnails Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?-dscf1243.jpg   Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?-dscf1239.jpg   Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?-dscf1241.jpg   Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?-dscf1225.jpg  

Quick Reply: Compatibility - Hot Rod Cams / Whipple?