Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2 Questions on LTs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:11 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Default 2 Questions on LTs

I am ready for my next mod..currently I only have pypes x pipe, motoblue overaxles, bassani axle backs, 4.10s, C&L racer CAI and Diablo Predator. My next mod is either JBA LTs or Comp Thumpr cams. Which would you get next?

2nd question is if I get the JBA LTs, do I have to use their H pipe or can I maintain my x pipe and factory cats? Or should I get hi flo cats or just take the cats out of the equation? I dont want to use an H pipe as I like the X so much better, especially soundwise. Seems if I already haev a mid pipe why waste another 2-300 dollars?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you want the Long tubes, you'll have to change the location of the cats. If you've got an X-Pipe in, and you want to keep that, you can have an exhaust shop cut the cats out, and weld them in a new position to work with the X and the long tubes. That way you can keep the X you like, and keep your car emissions legal.

Alternately, you can just cut the cats out, and be done with them, and save at least a little fab time from the shop. And there's the final option of buying high flow cats, and having the custom fabrication done to put them in. That would be the most expensive of the options, and I don't know if it would be strictly necessary. Though you'd probably pick up at least a little more power from the cats.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

just go cams.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default LT headers

I would say save the time and grief, ditch the pypes x pipe, get the JBAs with the matching catted H-pipe, very nice set-up and a smoother sound !!! I got the SLP headers with X-pipe and its a great sound but pretty aggressive, plus I am not sure if there is any legitimate difference in HP gains between the X and H pipe so for me it came down to price and sound, the SLP LT headers with matching catted X pipe were $700 total about 2 years ago so I went with them, if JBA was available for the same price I would have gotten that.

You can usually find the JBA LT headers with matching catted H-pipe on eBay for a decent price (650?), also RPM outlet sometimes packages them together. You should be fine for emissions except in communifornia !!! lol
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

well if you go long tubes i would get a shop to customize your current mid pipe to lower costs but endure they do a good job.
alternativly if you go the cam route i belive you loose low end TQ and rewuire the cam phasers with the thumpers making it a more expensive option then you planned.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

the cams with the pahsers and delete plates and such are for sale as a package from Brenspeed for just under 1k.

I personally like the more aggressive sound of the x pype, I think the H pipes make the car sound a lil weird or like a euro...just me though. I guess I could see if the shop would just weld the LTs to my current x pipe and ditch t he section with teh cats...that would be easiest but some shops dont like to do that out of liability.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yeah im lucky i guess my uncle owns a muffler shop
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

well that does help. no one posting about cams yet...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM
2mchtoy

Default LT's or Cams

You are going to have more money in the cams and install than you would for the lt. You are going to gain about the same as far as horsepower goes. The Lt's will get you about 15-20 hp to the wheels and depending on what cams you go with you would be looking at alittle more. So the choice is yours. I would personally wait with the cams and get that done when you decide to get the better heads that are coming out from C & L.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'm doing LT first and then cams.

My Kooks LT came in yesterday and my catted H-pipe will be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2 Questions on LTs