Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

tranny woes , maybe it is 6 speed time???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Thanks Moose I will get the fluid changed when I get back into town.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

Smile

Any bulletproof 5R55 for 1600 ?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPowertrain
All right, let's see: The fluid could definitely be causing problems. I would put GM or Pennzoil Synchromesh in place of the Dex3/Mercon that is in there now. You may also have a clutch adjustment problem, which is aggravated by the expansion of the clutch when warm. It could also be as simple as a tightly tolerated shaft. If the gears are not lined up when you are engaging first or reverse from a standstill a tight shaft will not naturally rotate into place. If you lift your foot off the clutch just a tiny bit and the shifter slips right into gear then you really don't have a problem at all. Try it.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm having this exact problem with my T5. It is hard as hell to get into gear and it only goes in sometimes after I lift off the clutch a little bit. I took it to ford and they said its the Clutch and Slave cylinder. Would you think that its the slave cylinder that is causing the problem? Or could it be the tranny fluid, i'm not sure what my buddy put in it?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default t5 Issues

Originally Posted by Trill Gear Head
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm having this exact problem with my T5. It is hard as hell to get into gear and it only goes in sometimes after I lift off the clutch a little bit. I took it to ford and they said its the Clutch and Slave cylinder. Would you think that its the slave cylinder that is causing the problem? Or could it be the tranny fluid, i'm not sure what my buddy put in it?
Are you having trouble in all gears, or just first and reverse? How about when the car is not running and you are just playing with your stick? Has the transmission been rebuilt or is it OE? Give me a little more information and I am sure I can help you out, along with some of the other knowledgeable folks in this thread. AP
Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
if i was wrong, then
maybe they are in there for good now.
I'm thinking the same about mine. Hopefully I won't need to redo the clutch anytime soon. I think the top two bolts are just for looks anyway.

I will say that they didn't bottom out in the top holes.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-12-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'm going to pull my bolts out tonight,
just for piece of mind.....
Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok i have piece of mind now....

after breaking them loose, i was able to
unscrew both, all the way with my
fingers......so i feel pretty good about
it.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Are you having trouble in all gears, or just first and reverse? How about when the car is not running and you are just playing with your stick? Has the transmission been rebuilt or is it OE? Give me a little more information and I am sure I can help you out, along with some of the other knowledgeable folks in this thread. AP
Sometimes its extremely hard to get into gear. The car will go into gear just fine when its off. The trans is rebuilt to oem specs. The bushing on the right side of the shift fork where the shift linkages is screwed onto got lost when i was replacing the clutch this summer. I tried to make a make-shift bushing, and ever since then it has never went into gear correctly. i've had to find the gears, but it was never grinding before.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Call AP or IM them

Gentlemen! If you have transmission issues that are not covered by warranty, feel free to IM us or give us a call. We can generally tell you what is wrong, how to have it fixed or how much it will cost for a replacement or an upgraded transmission.

If you order anything by Christmas the shipping is free and we are upgrading our warranty to 24-months for Christmas too. Let us know if anyone needs a little extra transmission help. AP
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
bullitt1668

Gentlemen! If you have transmission issues that are not covered by warranty, feel free to IM us or give us a call. We can generally tell you what is wrong, how to have it fixed or how much it will cost for a replacement or an upgraded transmission.

If you order anything by Christmas the shipping is free and we are upgrading our warranty to 24-months for Christmas too. Let us know if anyone needs a little extra transmission help. AP
Hello there,

I got a 3650 on my '01 Bullitt, and 4th has started to grind when going in, I've found that if i let the rpm's go down, i can get it in w/o grinding.

For years now (3 or 4) I've had this grinding noise when taking-off (1st and 2nd gears), but i could usually make it stop by pressing down the clutch. Out of warranty I took it to my local dealer to diagnose the problem, but without any warranties that they wouldn't make it worse - and a shortage of cash, I decided to wait (and I know this probably wasn't my best move since now it may cost me lots more to fix it).

I don't know if this is enough information for you guys to help me out, but it's a start. To be honest, I have no clue where to start... a good guess would be to take it to my local "Mr. Transmission", but I'm affraid they'll try to take advantage of my lack of knowledge in this field, and i'll end up pay more or for something I really don't need.

If you rather reply to my email address you can do so at the_gonzo1980@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance!

Bullitt1668