Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

MSD's Blaster 2 Coil On Plug High Output Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Red face MSD's Blaster 2 Coil On Plug High Output Ignition Coils

So I bit the bullet and bought these and according to UPS they are on the truck for delivery RIGHT NOW!!!

Since my car is bone stock..is there going to be any noticeable difference with these? Also, should I go with the FORD plugs or the Autolite HT1 plugs? I have heard pros and cons to both....

I put the HT1s in about 4 months back and I am having some hesitation issues now..hence the new COPs and thought I should also change the plugs again just so I have everything new. Anyone else having issues..suspected issues with the HT1s??
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

My understanding is that a) COPS do very little for stock engines or even mildly modded ones, and 2) have caused misfires at high rpm. None of the aftermarket tuners, except Sniper, support changing dwell to maximize performance for COPS, so it's not likely you'll see much at all. That's just my two cents: here's a great thread on the subject, by the way http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=107697 .

I'm sure we'd like to get your impressions, as this isn't a mod you see written about all that often nowadays.

Oh, my shop recommends the stock type plug, so that's what I use...
John
Old 12-04-2008, 06:15 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Autolite HT0s!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:34 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by xxDerek
Autolite HT0s!
I thought the Autolite HT0s were a colder plug more for the super-charged cars??
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Autolite HT0's are 1 step colder, HT1's are the similar to stock.
Have not seen any hard evidence that the aftermarket COP's give you any improvement over stock on N/A.
I'll be saving that $ for other mods myself.
Better bang-for-buck would be a tune/CAI if you've not already done so.

Last edited by aircare84; 12-04-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by aircare84
Autolite HT0's are 1 step colder, HT1's are the similar to stock.
Have not seen any hard evidence that the aftermarket COP's give you any improvement over stock on N/A.
I'll be saving that $ for other mods myself.
Better bang-for-buck would be a tune/CAI if you've not already done so.
I plan on doing the Steeda CAI / Tune after Christmas Holidays. I got the MSD Coils for only $192 for the complete set from a friend that sold his stang before he even installed them... So I paid the shipping and had him send them over-night.

This was still cheaper than what FORD wanted for a complete set of OEM COPs

Last edited by wilkinda; 12-05-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Dont run HT0s plugsthose are colder plugs for N2O or FI. If you run them they will probably foul from being to cold.
The COPS are a great mod. I ran the original GMS COPs and then MSD COPs and now I have the new Hard Core GMS COPs. I've seen dyno results for both N/A and FI.
I ran them when N/A and when FI and they do not cause misfires (?) and wll only improve your performance. Ona N/A car they are seeing 5-7 RHP increase on peak. If you had FI you would see more,. Overall the car runs smoother, less hesitation and will make some more horsepower. It will also burn fuel more efficiently.
I was happy with the MSDs but went to the higfher voltage Hard Cores when I raised my boost.

Last edited by zkiller; 12-05-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
I thought the Autolite HT0s were a colder plug more for the super-charged cars??
Refer to my post, last one on this page

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ml#post5720153
Old 12-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

damn, now I'm thinking about going aftermarket cop's again. The smoother idle/rev sure would help with cams no doubt. I may just get the hardcore GMS cops. I'll have a centri s/c early next year and have ruled out every other bolt-on except aftermarket cop's and electric water pump... still waiting one these "phantom" weapon-x cops...

Originally Posted by zkiller
Dont run HT0s plugsthose are colder plugs for N2O or FI. If you run them they will probably foul from being to cold.
The COPS are a great mod. I ran the original GMS COPs and then MSD COPs and now I have the new Hard Core GMS COPs. I've seen dyno results for both N/A and FI.
I ran them when N/A and when FI and they do not cause misfires (?) and wll only improve your performance. Ona N/A car they are seeing 5-7 RHP increase on peak. If you had FI you would see more,. Overall the car runs smoother, less hesitation and will make some more horsepower. It will also burn fuel more efficiently.
I was happy with the MSDs but went to the higfher voltage Hard Cores when I raised my boost.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

i bought the pro series COPs from gms about 2 years ago. they do make a noticeable difference in n/a setups. worth the money.

Quick Reply: MSD's Blaster 2 Coil On Plug High Output Ignition Coils