Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What are the advantages and disadvantages to installing 4.10 gears?

Old 12-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Guess you could always follow argo's path - 4.10's until (and unless) some road course running or autocrossing lets you know that they're too short and re-gear again to suit that activity. That'll be course-dependent, so you might then need 3.73's or even be back to the 3.55's (I'd keep the OE gears just in case, they don't take up all that much room).

Norm
Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Honestly having the 4.10s for me is a great thing for a DD. Just going to work or running to the golf course and such can be a little more fun when you want them to be with the 4.10s
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I had 3.73 gears put in on my last Automatic... I think I am going to get 4.10's this time.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default Female driver with 4.10 gears.

I switched from 3.55 gears to FRPP 4.10's a year ago. It took me a while to get used to hearing my exhaust so often. I was very conscience of the higher rpms on the highway....

I have come to enjoy driving my car even more now that I am very familiar with the gears. I put a little more into every shift and like how the torque feels. (I'm switching to louder axle back exhaust. )

My 5-speed Mustang GT convertible is not my daily driver. I use it for fun and garage it in the winter.

Just thought my 2 cents might add perspective.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

For me, this isnt even a debate. I LOVE the 4.10s and only wish I had pulled the trigger sooner. I would say after getting an SCT or Diablo, the next mod in a 5spd HAS to be 4.10s. Really wakes the car up, such smooth shifts and staying in the powerband. I have had ZERO problems with any whine. I am not sure if I am the only one but I have had no issues and no whine whatsoever. I chose the FRPP gears and had them installed at a local drivetrain shop. I would advise against the dealer as they want 8 hours of labor to install.
DOnt waste any more time thinking of getting them, just do it.
I picked up 3-4 mpg in town and driving roundtrip to PHX and back on the freeway at 85MPH I only lost 0.9 MPG and it was going down the longer I drove so I may have lost even less on the freeway. My RPMs at 85 where right at 3000.
Let me know if you need any other questions answered on this topic. I love the gears and regret not doing them way way sooner. So many gains and plusses to it and so far zero negatives. I use my car as a DD, autocross, and dragstrip and the gears have only helped in all areas.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:32 PM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

There is also a 3.90 option but I am sure I may be band from talking for a day for mentioning them.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Frankly I'm having a hard time deciding on this one. I have the 3.55s right now and I know I want more. We don't really have any tracks around here except for a single drag strip. But I hate being limited like I would with the 4.10s in the sense that if an actual road track opened up somewhere and I decided to try it out I would be at a disadvantage. But going with 3.73s over the 3.55s - it becomes questionable whether it's even worth doing since the difference is minimal when we're talking $500+.
I paid $150 for the 4.10 gears and $300 for the install. I did not know that you needed to recalibrate the speedometer for the new gears, so I immediately had to purchase a tuner to fix that issue. So you can figure to add another $380 for the tuner, otherwise your odometer will be reading high.

I love the 4.10s, but driving at 80 mph on the highway keeps me around 3000 rpm.

Just some things to think about.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

i'll make it easy. if you want to enjoy driving you car more.....get the 4.10s. you won't get whine if they're installed properly. after a week or two you won't even notice any change in mileage, or that your car's rpms are higher at a certain speed, blah, blah, blah. if you're into modding your car, and want to increase the fun factor.....don't over-analyze and pull the trigger...
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQkR8gR-RI

love this video.. shows how hard 4.10s launch with an auto.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

I switched to 4.10 from the stock 3.55 on my 2006 GT Convertible. The car is much more fund to drive, both around town and on the highway. The gears are FRPP and there is no whine at all.

Don't worry about a few rpm. My wife persists in cruising on the highway at 70mph in 3rd gear, but you can barely hear the difference. That's about 4700 rpm.

Yeah, a real man would be able to change her behavior, but I have not been able to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the advantages and disadvantages to installing 4.10 gears?