Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which tune to order?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:15 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

From the DS site:

05-up Ford Predator Custom Tune Instructions
These instructions will guide you through the process of installing a custom tune on your 05-newer Ford Predator.
These instructions will cover the following part numbers:
U7140, U7145, U7151, U7155, VR7140, VR7145, VR7151, PC7140, PC7145, PC7151, SLP7140, SLP7145, ST7149, CL7140

Required Items

1: Serial Cable:
Standard straight-through DB9 (9-pin to 9-pin) RS232C serial cable (6 foot cable is more than enough). Check your computer to see if you have a male or a female port on the back, as some are different. You will need a male end to go into your Predator.
(Radio Shack Part # 26-117, 6-ft DB9 male to DB9 female shielded cable.)

2: Power Adapter:
CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER
OUTPUT : 12VDC 1000mA (1 Amp)(Radio Shack Part # 273-1776)
Note: Plug Tip is 2.5mm x 5.5mm, female, and center is positive.(Radio Shack Part # 273-1717)

Radio Shack normally carries both of these items. Most Wal-Marts have the Power Adapter (multi output version).

Note: If you have a laptop, you can use the vehicle's power to power up the Predator, instead of using a Power Adapter, and just do the following with your laptop and Predator inside of your vehicle.

Saving original backup to PC:
1. Go to our website at www.diablosport.com <http://www.diablosport.com> and click downloads from the left hand side of the screen.
2. Select part number U7140 or U7145. You will automatically be directed to the download page for that part number.
3. Go to the bottom of the page and download the DSDownloader installer. (Right click, save target as).
4. Run the program and go through the install wizard to set up the DSDownloader. Allow it to set up a desktop icon for easy access to the software.
5. Once the install is complete, run the DSDownloader program. You will get a message box saying ‘not registered’. This is normal, just click ‘OK’.
6. You will now need to check to see what COM port your serial or USB cable is assigned to in the device manager. On the bottom left hand side of your computer screen click the ‘START’ button.
7. From this menu, right click on ‘my computer’, then go to properties.
8. Select the hardware tab, then click the ‘device manager’ button.
9. In the device manager, go to Ports (COM and LPT) and click the plus sign (+) next to ports.
10. If you are using a 9-pin to 9-pin serial cable, double click on ‘communication port COM1’. If using a USB to serial adapter, double click on the device when it drops down under Ports.
11. Click the port settings tab.
12. Set the baud rate (bits per second) to 115200.
13. Close out the Communication port properties, the device manager and the System properties windows.
14. Set the options on the DSDownloader to match the COM port that your cable is assigned to in the device manager.
15. Set the baud rate on the DSDownloader to 115200.
16. Power up the Predator with the 12v power supply and connect the serial port to the bottom of the tool.
17. Once the tool has booted up and is on the main screen, press ‘get tune file from Predator’ on the DSDownloader.
18. A copy of the original backup file will automatically be extracted from the Predator.
19. Once the file has been uploaded, the DSDownloader will ask if you would like to save it in the .ori file directory. Choose ‘no’ and direct it to save the file to your desktop or somewhere that you can find it easily.
20. Your original backup file is now saved to your PC.

Sending a custom tune to the Predator:
1. Open up the DSDownloader and connect the Predator to the PC and power it up.
2. Be sure all of your COM port and baud rate settings are correct as per steps 6-15 from above. Also be sure the ‘compressed send’ button is checked on the top of the DSDownloader.
3. On the DSDownloader press the ‘send tune file to Predator’ button.
4. You will get a new window asking you to select the file for download.
5. Browse through the computer to find where you saved the custom tune, and click it once, then press ‘open’.
6. If this is the first time you are sending a tune to the Predator, you will get a new window saying a valid base file could not be found. Click ‘Yes’.
7. Now, direct the DSDownloader to look in your desktop or wherever you saved the backup file and highlight it, then press open.
8. The DSDownloader will automatically compare these files to determine if they are the same size and of the same calibration.
9. Once it determines the files are OK, it will download the file to the Predator. This will all happen very fast, usually in under 10 seconds.
10. The DSDownloader will tell you that the download was successful, and the Predator will say ‘import OK’.
11. You may now unhook the Predator and go to the car to install the custom tune.

If for any reason you cannot upload the backup file or download a custom tune to the Predator after following these instructions, please call our tech support department at 561-908-0040.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:31 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

wow that is perfectly detailed. Thanks for you help! :0
Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 AM
SaleenR3

Originally Posted by BlueOvalBlood
INteresting..yeah we dont have any 1/8 mile tracks out here...I never understood the point in only 1/8 mile race but thats just me. Call me a traditionalist.
are you serious??? first off every 1/4 mile track you have ever seen or been to is more than likely also an 1/8 mile track as well. Second its not a matter of tradition, its more of a test of driver skill. How many times have you watched a race where the other driver drives right by the other guy for the win. In an 1/8 mile it really comes down to reaction time and how well you can launch your car.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:50 AM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

yeah they due 1/8 mile for the junior dragsters, but I am not sure out here what th einterest level is in 1/8mile when you have 1/4 as an option. I am not slamming 1/8 milers, just saying for me (just my preference) I like 1/4 mile.
I can say similar things about 1/4 mile tracks as far as it takes skill. But what I dont want to do is get in a debate cause we all have what we like and we like it for a reason and no one can change that opinion. I am just glad there are cool people on this site who represent Mustangs on every kind of track there is. In the end its all about speed....nasty, fire breathing, spine crushing speed. I do appreciate the post though
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

You're welcome. Good luck on uploading the tune.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Driving skills and traction is something I lack, but nonetheless I do have at the 1/8 mile track.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

I will probably be ordering some drag radials and short throw shifter next. Bothh seem like easy installs.
Ok, I just sent my order to Bama. HOw long does it take him to send the file?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

If they are not on vacation, then you might get it by Tues.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

woohoo, actually got it today. Now I gotta get toradio Shack tomorrow night and then download to computer then.....etc
I will let you all know how it goes...if you want
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 PM
BlueOvalBlood
2nd Gear Member

Well I decided to go to Radio Shack tonight and got everything I needed (despite some of the part numbers posted here werent in stock so I had to go with others)
Part Part # Cost
Serial to USB adaptor #26-949 $34.99
AC Adaptor #273-1771 $30.79
Adapta Plug N for AC Adaptor #273-1717 $6.99

Total Cost for Radio Shack parts needed for downloading custom tunes $78.66

I guess you pay in the pants when you want something right away. I would advise others to just order the kit from Bama and wait it out.

Ok, on to the tune. I ordered Bama's Racing tune for 91 Octane, C&L Racer intake, LTs, and 4.10s

Bama got it to me within 24 hrs or less from my order time. I was impressed with the speed of the order.

I just installed it and went out for a short test drive. So $120 into this tune and parts and...I dunno.

I definitly dont see what some guys are saying about a sensitive throttle. Seems about the same to me and as far as worrying so much about and having to start in second gear...? Seriously? I dont see that either.

The tune seems fine and the most noticeable thing so far is the idle is a little higher and the exhaust doesnt gas you out with a rich smell. Didnt see if it was blowing a lil smoke like before while it was running rich. But other than that....seems about the same as before.

Still has good power throughout the powerband and dont really notice a time where it really kicks in or really puts you in your seat. It sjust a consistant decent pull and it seems good through all rpms.

I guess with all the hype and such I was really expecting a lot more. I dont see a "night and day" difference as some said.

Perhaps I will notice more tomorrow (I hope cause right now I am feeling remorse for spending $120).
I will let you know if anything changes.

Last edited by BlueOvalBlood; 12-22-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Which tune to order?