Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cams and vortech non-intercooled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
cenotaph
1st Gear Member

I just had Brenspeed's Paxton 2200 IC setup installed on '06 GT with 20" rims and 4.10 gears. The setup is great and makes great power all around. Very respectable power low end as well. No complaints at this point.
Very good daily driver. Power at my fingertips when needed.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

auto or manual?? how much power you putting down? just curious...
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Sounds like good numbers for a non intercooled. How much did you guys pay installed?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bolivianpimp
Sounds like good numbers for a non intercooled. How much did you guys pay installed?
Kit was $3799, install was $1050, so $4849 for the S/C professionally installed. Brenspeed installs it for $649 I believe, but they are like 1000 miles away from me.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

do the math for the cost of adding the intercooler to the cost of the set up without the I/C, if you do this math, you'll see you get more hp/$$ for the added cost then you do for the base kit

I did the math....... I went HO from the git! its worth it, even if you wait a month or two more to do it all
Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

is the boost similar like how it runs on a turbo set up? gradual then a burst of speed through the midrange rpm? I have only driven turbo cars in the past, never a supercharger but from what it looks like the CF SCs deliver boost much like a turbo.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

yes it is pretty much the same concept the higher the rpms the more boost. But I think it works better then turbo since the propeller is being turned by the engine and not air. Because then you dont really need to spool it up.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

boost starts up around 2500 rpm and really get a SOTP feel starting at 3000

you can see it build on this dyno sheet

Old 01-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
is the boost similar like how it runs on a turbo set up? gradual then a burst of speed through the midrange rpm? I have only driven turbo cars in the past, never a supercharger but from what it looks like the CF SCs deliver boost much like a turbo.
The car isn't real punchy like a twin screw, boost builds steadily with the RPMs. If you're looking to have max power from a standstill in that you're roasting tires and laying down tons of torque, the twin screw is a better choice. The Vortech behaves much more like a turbo, but the boost is more linear than turbos I've driven. The modded WRX I used to have had massive turbo lag down low but at about 3000rpm the boost would kick-in like mad and I could spin all four tires. The Vortech is more subtle.

I would label the car as deceptively fast now. I'm jaded in general having had many fast cars over the years, so when I drive it, it doesn't FEEL extremely fast to me, yet a short 1st-3rd gear trip will have me at 90-100mph in a heartbeat. I may not be putting down 500rwhp, but I will say that the power I am putting down largely gets put to the pavement. I think I may take a video of the speedo during a WOT take-off. I'm curious to see it myself, since I'm usually watching the tach.

I got a response from Brenspeed and they were pretty down on the meth injection kit. They won't tune for it. I wrote back and told him that I think he misunderstood, I don't want more power from it, just a cooler intake charge when its 115 here. Still waiting for a reply on that. If I can run the kit with no tune adjustment for nothing but a colder charge, I'll buy one and install it for grins.

If I ever do an intercooler on the Vortech system, I don't want the Air/Water Vortech cooler however. I'm just not a fan of that design, and I wouldn't use one. I'd want an air/air meaning I'll have to have something fabbed up. Not on the radar for now though, and quite possibly never...

If you are going to buy a HO kit stealth, I'd recommend the Paxton honestly. Its $4995 and has an air/air IC. It is pretty much the same as the Vortech in design. At 460-480rwhp though, be prepared to put money into tires, suspension, etc, and cross your fingers that you are one of the lucky ones, lol. It was pretty unlikely for me to ever upgrade it, so I went with the Vortech based on cost.

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-03-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I agree with the post above. If you do go with an HO kit go with the paxton. They are pretty much the same S/Cer but the install will be a heck of a lot easier and the engine bay will still have a little room in it.

Quick Reply: cams and vortech non-intercooled...