Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

new eldobrock blower for 4.6 3v

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

So at 7psi with 93 oct. You will be left with 460-480RWHP. Why does it take Whipple 3psi more to make 10-30rwhp less power?

I think more testing needs to be done.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Tillman Speed

Originally Posted by explict
So at 7psi with 93 oct. You will be left with 460-480RWHP. Why does it take Whipple 3psi more to make 10-30rwhp less power?

I think more testing needs to be done.
This is a four lobe roots style blower, not a twin screw Lysholm design like Whipple.

It's got a front inlet and massive runners which allow it to flow much better than competing kits. This is how it can create the same amount of horsepower without the same amount of restriction (boost).

If you want a great video to watch that explains it all, here is a link:

http://www.motorator.com/videos/537

PLENTY of testing has been done, and these are the numbers. Because of it's massive front inlet design, it actually sees the CFM numbers that other manufacturers claim on supercharger dynos. The difference is that they end up putting a huge nearly 180 degree bend for the inlet, where as Edelbrocks Eaton TVS style kit's inlet is in the front. This allows for smooth air flow into the blower.

If independent testing is what you're looking for, it's coming soon! The Edelbrock kits are within 3 weeks of being installed and dyno tuned in-house here at our facilities using SCT Advantage III sotware and a Dynojet 224xLC interia dyno with eddy current braking added-on.

You will have NO PROBLEM seeing 460+RWHP on 7 PSI with the Edelbrock Competition Air Intake System.

I would trust Edelbrock's testing with my life. We're talking EDELBROCK here. Who is known for quality products that actually work, and NOT rushing products to market (Which is apparent in the release of this kit nearly 4-5 years after the platform has been available).

The engineer of this kit went to town in creating the ultimate supercharger kit. We stand by it 100%. Watch how this unfolds over the next few months!

Chris

Last edited by Tillman Speed; 01-14-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tillman Speed
I would trust Edelbrock's testing with my life. We're talking EDELBROCK here. Who is known for quality products that actually work, and NOT rushing products to market (Which is apparent in the release of this kit nearly 4-5 years after the platform has been available).

The engineer of this kit went to town in creating the ultimate supercharger kit. We stand by it 100%. Watch how this unfolds over the next few months!

Chris
Chris were is Tillman Speed located? I'm impressed by this blower but I'm not sure I want to invest that much in my Mustang. I will be watching how this all shakes out though.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

I sent an email to the guys at Brenspeed and here it is:

Q: I know I email y'all a lot, I just want to make sure when I do this I got all the info I need. Edelbrock has just released their new supercharger for the 2005-2009 Mustang GT's. Is your company going to do anything with them? Currently they are producing 466hp 439 ft/lbs with only 5 lbs of boost. I could only imagine what it would do with a smaller pulley. Any chances of a Brenspeed upgrade kit for it?

A: We will not be working with the Edelbrock S/C because it, like most all the other available superchargers does not compare to the power and performance of the Saleen.
The Saleen is rated at 475HP with only 5PSI of Boost and we have taken the Saleen beyond 700HP with the rite combination of supporting equipment. Edelbrock definitely did a good job marketing their supercharger because there have been a lot of people that have the same question you did. I think everyone has just forgotten or maybe never knew that the Saleen 475 package is only pulley'd for 5 PSI.

Thanks

Seth Gann
So as you can see, the decision will be a hard one to make, Brenspeed offers kits going up over 500 HP so I don't know which way I want to go.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Tillman Speed

wingman, We are in Aston, PA just south of Philadelphia by 10 mins or so. 30 Seconds off of I-95.

Skarkull, there's no doubt that Saleen makes a nice kit. Keep in mind you're getting better injectors, new throttle body (larger in area than the GT500) and larger intercooler surface with the Standard Street Legal kit and making the same power (within 2% of Saleen) with a FACTORY FORD AIR BOX. If you opt to also use the Competition Air Intake System, you gain nearly 15RWHP (almost 20 flywheel horsepower) AND you'll never have to replace the MAF sensor unless you plan on making over 850RWHP. As well, you get 41# injectors, which will lower your injector duty cycle in comparison with Saleen's kit utilizing 38/39s.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 PM
munger

Can I buy this kit from you and install my self?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Tillman Speed

Originally Posted by munger
Can I buy this kit from you and install my self?
Absolutely. The Street kit comes with absolutely everything neccessary including PCM calibration from Edelbrock and you can install it yourself. Anyone who is a little saavy should be able to install it in a weekend.

Even the competition package that we're offering will be available mail-order shortly after Edelbrock releases the kit to the public and we develop the tunes for different boost levels and other modifications including long tubes, etc.

Chris Rose
Tillman Speed Inc.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Bah! smoke and mirrors!

whipple numbers are just shy of 500rwhp using the 3.375" pulley, custom dyno tune of course. The canned tune numbers are all over the place, which is expected.

I'm sure it's a nice blower, but it's not a bag of magic beans.

Everyone knows only a turbo can make 480rwhp on 7lbs of boost.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Tillman Speed

Originally Posted by moosestang
Bah! smoke and mirrors!

whipple numbers are just shy of 500rwhp using the 3.375" pulley, custom dyno tune of course. The canned tune numbers are all over the place, which is expected.

I'm sure it's a nice blower, but it's not a bag of magic beans.

Everyone knows only a turbo can make 480rwhp on 7lbs of boost.
Hmm.. where's the logic? This is on a CALIFORNIA emissions car utilizing emissions legal components, stock air box, and 91 octane! I guess we just need to get the 7PSI kit installed and tuned with our dyno results and then you'll believe us? We're going to use 93 octane. We could make 500RWHP with 8 PSI. Dyno a competing twin screw, you'll see OVER 10 psi on the Whipple kit, I have those results here, too.

Do you think 500RWHP on a stock bottom end with 10-11PSI is safer on the internals than the same RWHP number with only 8PSI?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any other supercharger kit.

I'm saying this is the most efficient (parasytic loss), and most powerful horsepower to boost ratio on the market, as well as the largest intercooler surface area, best flowing. This is all documented stuff, and not opinionated. You wont see me say "this is the greatest supercharger on the market" because that's open to interpretation.

Sure it's no magic bag of beans. However, you will see ALOT of companies producing and moving to these TVS blowers, because of the mentioned pros and lack of cons.

The last statement you made may be true with centrifugals, but not neccessarily with roots blowers. There are even a few twin screw chargers out there I've seen aftermarket manifolds for and they're making that power with less boost.

Chris
Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

I want to see tests.

Whipple claims 500hp from 10psi.
Edelbrock claims 466hp from 5psi.

Is the newly designed, more efficient Whipple that innefficient that it requires 5psi to get just 34hp more?

Quick Reply: new eldobrock blower for 4.6 3v