Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Blowoff or thru, is either one better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Not only that, the worst thing of the current draw thru config of this kit is the backwash generated by the turbo still spinning with the throttle closed and even that they routed the BOV recirculation the best they could and that they almost installed the MAF in the filter trying to get it out of the way of the reflux it still gives some trouble, specially in automatic cars.

That is actually why we actually did the switch to BT, the new IAT position is a plus and now is better but you could actually tune properly around the old config.

If you want to extract the very best of the kit, a proper, straigther and larger intake pipe with slot MAF is in order, vented BOV in the IC "IN" side and venting the WG exhaust to ATM (if you can handle the mega wssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh leak) but that is a totally off-road config. One nice thing on these kits is having the option to keep the CATs (even that probably you'll wear them out in no time) with its stock config, making it a very stealth system.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

Looks like I'm staying as is then, unless theres a way to do what Rain said, and have the bypass still let off ~50%of the air that doesn't require a bunch of work, etc.
I'll see what my tuner thinks of that idea then, if not, then I guess I'll live without it for now
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vashthe3rd
Looks like I'm staying as is then, unless theres a way to do what Rain said, and have the bypass still let off ~50%of the air that doesn't require a bunch of work, etc.
I'll see what my tuner thinks of that idea then, if not, then I guess I'll live without it for now
to get the best sound i would go with Litos idea and have the wastegate, not the recirculation valve, dump into the atmosphere. my friend has wrx wagon with an STI swap running a much larger turbo and has the wastegate dump behind the front passenger side wheel. The only thing anybody has come up with as a way to describe the awesome noise it makes is to try to imagine what it would sound like if you heard a gremlin ( from the movie gremlins ) being raped. its wicked loud and scares people who dont expect it. outside of the car it makes a whoosh noise that is very intense and is very noticeable. i checked some youtube vids of other people with hellion turbo kits and you can hear the turboxs valve when they go closed throttle or **** gears. on an auto it wont be near as noticeable because you will only hear it when going from WOT to closed throttle, not when shifting.

and to answer your earlier question - the turboxs BOV that comes with the kit is a 100% recirculation valve.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lito
That is actually why we actually did the switch to BT, the new IAT position is a plus and now is better but you could actually tune properly around the old config.
I cant remember off the top of my head but I thought there a way to splice into the wires on the MAF and run another sensor in the intake manifold? I think thats what the saleen kits do but i might be wrong. its been a while since i spent time researching the saleen s/c.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
vashthe3rd
2nd Gear Member

yea I'm not looking for the sound when shifting
I just want a good noticeable, forgive the onomatopoeia, "TSSSSSHHHHHHH" after a good rev. But regardless, if it can't be done without alot of work, then I'll be fine without it, anyone worth caring about will know what's going on.
Thanks for the help guys, if nothing else I gained knowledge about the different pressure release systems on turbos
Old 01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have a Tial Raptor wastegate and a Tial BOV. The BOV doesn't make any noise and the wastegate makes all kinds of noise. My turbo is a blow thru BTW.

In the video you can hear the BOV/wastegate go off as I get out of the gas at the rev limiter. This was Sactown and I screwing around after we put our line locks in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRRHfbQAzo&feature