Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Is Paxton Novi the best of the best???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Violator187
2nd Gear Member

Talking Is Paxton Novi the best of the best???

It looks great inside the car but i just want to know what everyone thinks of it. The High output version... anywhere i can go to maybe look at a comparative bar graph of all the different brands?? Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I am pleased with mine. 440 to the wheels and a lot more room to push if I choose and prepare to.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

best looking IMO, and awesome expandability. Def. want to go atleast with 3.73's though, I didn't like it as much until i put my 4.10's in
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

...yeah, they're not too bad..LOL!! I'm kind of partial to the Vortech HO S/C...

Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Paxton and vortech make the worst superchargers for the mustang. They made sense in the year 7 million BC when competing turbochargers did not work like they do now but currently there is no logical reason to get cheap superchargers over a turbo. What Paxton Vortech and Kenne Bell all do is they run barley safe levels of boost on inferior antique supercharging technology and sell it for low prices to trick people into buying them due to having a favorable horsepower price split.

It's always inferior to go with these brands for these reasons:

Vortech: cost
Paxton Novi: cost/name
Kenne Bell: "horsepower" (horse play)

The fact is that a turbo setup will spool just as fast as vortech or paxton novi, and to go on, i've tested this at the track with a single turbo 4.6. A turbo will give the power junkies even more power for the same level of boost and cost the same compared to the centris. Otherwise a twin screw is the primary one that makes sense in supercharging as it will actually produce desirable low end power and at the same boost level beat the above superchargers at the track (for a much higher price).

With KB which isn't addressed above... if you spend the exact same amount of cash on a reputable supercharger and run the same "barley safe" level of boost by installing a $150 larger pulley swap you'll achieve the exact same result except you'll be better off in every measurable and conceivable way (you'll have more horsepower due to having a supercharger that's more efficient too).

Best of the Best? = Bottom feeding scams.

Last edited by Legion5; 01-12-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

lol @ legion. I can appreciate your passion, but I'm pretty happy with mine and I'm sure that the majority of people who spend 4-10K on any type of f/i system will be happy with their choice as well.

paxton h.o. + brenspeed = best of the best (for me).

Last edited by nite; 01-12-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Paxton and vortech make the worst superchargers for the mustang. They made sense in the year 7 million BC when competing turbochargers did not work like they do now but currently there is no logical reason to get cheap superchargers over a turbo. What Paxton Vortech and Kenne Bell all do is they run barley safe levels of boost on inferior antique supercharging technology and sell it for low prices to trick people into buying them.

The fact is that a turbo setup will spool just as fast, produce more power for the same level of boost and cost the same compared to the centris.

Otherwise a REAL supercharger ie a twin screw is the only one that makes sense as it will actually produce desirable low end power and at the same boost beat the above superchargers (for a much higher price).

Best of the Best? More like bottom feeding scam.
Or at least in your humble opinion.

OP, to answer your question, declaring Paxton, or any s/c kit for that matter as "best of the best" is very subjective.

The fact of the matter is that most if not all are good kits, with varying characteristics based on type. The centri blowers like the Paxton/Vortech are still very popular, and are a proven set-up, and are also a very good value. The centri blowers start building boost at 3,000+rpm (or so), and continue to build more boost as the rpms increase. Whereas a twin screw or roots build boost immediately giving you instant power. Be advised though that instant boost does not necessarily make it faster than a centri equipped car. Remember where your rpms tend to be when racing the car. They are typically in the 4,000-6,500 range, which is the sweet spot for a centri blower.

Ultimately, I would try to find some Mustang owners with different F/I set ups, and go for a ride if you can. If they let you drive all the better. From there you can begin to narrow down your choice.

BTW I'm making over 550whp on a silly old "archaic" Vortech S-trim, and am quite happy.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Me love my Paxton kit from Brenspeed!!! haha IMO I strongly believe it is the best of the best for the money. Great kit, awesome power and looks. Sounds amazing. Here is a pic....or a few !!!!!!!!!

Also dyno printout.... with the supplied tune, on an otherwise stock GT at the time.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Paxton and vortech make the worst superchargers for the mustang. They made sense in the year 7 million BC when competing turbochargers did not work like they do now but currently there is no logical reason to get cheap superchargers over a turbo. What Paxton Vortech and Kenne Bell all do is they run barley safe levels of boost on inferior antique supercharging technology and sell it for low prices to trick people into buying them due to having a favorable horsepower price split.

The fact is that a turbo setup will spool just as fast as vortech or paxton novi, and to go on, i've tested this at the track with a single turbo 4.6. A turbo will give the power junkies even more power for the same level of boost and cost the same compared to the centris. Otherwise a twin screw is the primary one that makes sense in supercharging as it will actually produce desirable low end power and at the same boost level beat the above superchargers at the track (for a much higher price).

With KB which isn't addressed above... if you spend the exact same amount of cash on a reputable supercharger and run the same "barley safe" level of boost by installing a $150 larger pulley swap you'll achieve the exact same result except you'll be better off in every measurable and conceivable way (you'll have more horsepower due to having a supercharger that's more efficient too).

Best of the Best? = Bottom feeding scams.
Kenne Bell uses twin screw technology (top of the line in supercharging technology). Sorry bud, but you just got completely discredited. That is unless you doing the turbo vs. supercharger battle that will go on forever, and then even then I'll take you advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited by JasperGT; 01-12-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

They made sense in the year 7 million BC

funny post, but i dont think cars were around back then.

Quick Reply: Is Paxton Novi the best of the best???