Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

How much power could I get out of my car N/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 PM
DarkHorse8887

Default How much power could I get out of my car N/A

Just out of curiosity, how much power could i achieve with out any F/I? How do our cars respond to heads/cams? I know the chevy pushrod motors get massive gains from heads/cams but how do the modular motors respond to them? What about performance intake manifolds? I see a lot of guys go for the intake then the headers/x pipe and tune then go straight for the supercharger, just thought it would be cool to try something different
thanks guys
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkHorse8887
Just out of curiosity, how much power could i achieve with out any F/I? How do our cars respond to heads/cams? I know the chevy pushrod motors get massive gains from heads/cams but how do the modular motors respond to them? What about performance intake manifolds? I see a lot of guys go for the intake then the headers/x pipe and tune then go straight for the supercharger, just thought it would be cool to try something different
thanks guys

It will cost you a fortune to make a N/A beast. These cars respond well to heads but have you looked at the price of what a set of heads will run you and they will not give you the gains that FI will. I did about every bolt on I could do with the exception of heads and cams which I plan on doing later.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM
DarkHorse8887

yea i looked up the prices and they are a bit high....might be better off with dropping an entire new motor in the car, Ford racing has a ton of them it seems
Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 AM
gtnraged

Heard from a reliable source that he worked on a mustang with every bolt on imaginable and it was at about 330.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I haven't heard of too many people with the stock block that could get passed the 350 RWHP mark and even THEY spent enough to approach going FI. If you're looking for bettering your time, there are are quite a few weight loss mods for the S197 that should shave a few tenths off in addition to RWHP gains.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
war machine 115
2nd Gear Member

A guy on another forum is up over 400 to the wheels n/a. Heads, SPR cams, intake manifold plus almost all other bolt ons...all quite costly but an n/a beast. 400+ n/a is possible if you have the money.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I haven't heard of too many people with the stock block that could get passed the 350 RWHP mark and even THEY spent enough to approach going FI. If you're looking for bettering your time, there are are quite a few weight loss mods for the S197 that should shave a few tenths off in addition to RWHP gains.
What kind of weight loss mods?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I'm at 361rwhp with the bolt-ons that I have. See my sig.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I think heads and cams will get you excellent power, I've seen 2 dyno sheets were 2 cars with similar bolt ons to mine minus the GT500TB gained 41 RWHP just from adding the FRPP "Hot Rod" cams on stock heads. If you're planning on going N/A then FRPP CNC ported heads are best bang for buck, however there are some aftermarket companies that claim big gains from their porting the problem is those are somebody elses used head while the FRPP is new. As for cams if you NEVER plan to F/I your car then you need to get a set of cams that built for N/A power only to maximize HP. Cams are THE most important part of power combination!!!!!!!! Also look into if C&L has finally released their upper intake plenum yet.

P.S. I would go with FRPP heads the because they're new, these heads can't be ported all that much anyway they have slim castings to begin with.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

Seems like 350 RWHP to 360 RWHP is the norm from what I have seen with mod bolt ons. I am shooting for 350 RWHP from what I have now. I am hoping the new C & L intake manifold and an aluminum driveshaft will get me there.

Quick Reply: How much power could I get out of my car N/A