Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Gear Questions, need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

if you go 4.10s and are not happy with the RPMs your seeing you can always compensate some with a 28" tire to bring the effect gearing down
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by gtimms
Looking at 3.73 gears for a V8 06 Stang. Few questions:

1). Car is mostly stock, is this a better gear or is 4.10 the way to go?

2). Has an auto trans this will change my shift points, do I need to do a flash? or could I do a shift kit?

3). They sell a track lock rebuild as an option. Do I really need to do this? Car has 38K on it.

Looking to do underdrives and maybe a tune soon as well. Not looking to add any bottle or supercharger or anything like that.

Thanks!
I assume since your an AUTO that your have 3.31 gear set now right?
Originally Posted by sailing220
I just made this same post in a different thread.

You should get the 4.10s. I was debating between the 3.73s and the 4.10s and I ended up going with the 4.10s. If you get the 3.73s you will regret not going higher, as a lot of people have. Then again, a lot of people are happy with the 3.73s. Just make sure you do your research and get the FRPP gears and find an EXPERIENCED installer.
I agree get the 4.10s
Thanks guys! I have a good install place a local speed shop that actually knows what they are doing, done allot of Fords too. This car is somewhere between a daily driver and a weekend car. I have other vehicles, a Toyota and whatnot to drive to work, but when it does get driven on a trip its about 1 hour each way.
I'm kind of leaning towards the 3.73 but am confused I see some people says that the 3.73s were a good kick in the pants and other say they saw no increase to justify the costs???
over a 3.31 it will be a kick in the butt....if 3.55 then go 4.10's for sure and it doesn't matter if it is manual or AUTO IMO
Originally Posted by Stkjock
if you go 4.10s and are not happy with the RPMs your seeing you can always compensate some with a 28" tire to bring the effect gearing down
Anything larger then the stock tire size will effectively change the gearing just like STK mentioned (there are many huge tires out there that actually IMO look nice)-ex.295/40/20...but nice -I think like 28.6+ inches big!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
delstang
1st Gear Member

I went with 3:73's. I just didn't want to push that many RPM's all the time. I am happy with them. A good tuner can tune your transmission to shift very quick and change the shift points. Mine shift extremely quick without being harsh. Good luck on your decision as either would probably be a good choice.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:35 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Just remember, no one who has 4.10s has anything bad to say about them. It's those jealous 3.73ers that are naysaying :P
Old 02-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What about manual transmission drivers with 400+ rwhp? 4:10 still?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
What about manual transmission drivers with 400+ rwhp? 4:10 still?
I have 4.10's.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Are you spinning a lot out of first? How fast are you going through first gear? The thing that worries me a little w/4:10 is how fast it goes by. With a FI car it seems like you're done with first in barely 1 second. Little easier to "manage" if you have an auto.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If I had an auto I would put in 3.73s and a convertor. You get the best of both worlds without the higher rpms while cruising.

The auto's have a very close ratio and are fairly low geared in the the 1st four gears. Thats why they are so good at the track.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Looking at 3.73 gears for a V8 06 Stang. Few questions:

1). Car is mostly stock, is this a better gear or is 4.10 the way to go?

2). Has an auto trans this will change my shift points, do I need to do a flash? or could I do a shift kit?

3). They sell a track lock rebuild as an option. Do I really need to do this? Car has 38K on it.

Looking to do underdrives and maybe a tune soon as well. Not looking to add any bottle or supercharger or anything like that.

Thanks!
With 4.10's and a t45(5spd) I get the same gas mileage as stock, although my car has a lot of other mods.

My freeway gas mileage is excellent. I can get into 5th at 50-55 now instead of 70+

70mph = 2600 rpms
50mph = 2000 rpms
40mph = 2100 rpms

1st is pretty short but with my mods its fun to bang gears, avoid traffic as much as possible, stop light to stop light style cruising gives me extremely poor gas mileage, worse then when I get on it.

Make sure u buy frpp, researching it urself will only prove that point. And with an auto I would recommend a tuner first, to get some shifting, and a tuner has lifelong uses so getting one as soon as possible can't hurt.

I recommend americanmuscle.com for both ur gear set, and ur tuner, free tunes for life and they run specials a lot with the laptop cables included for free. Its cool to have ur laptop hooked up.

Oh and for pulleys, avoid anything with a piggyback balancer, ull regret it later, I would avoid bbk all together, imo buy a cheap kit and pickup a good reduction dampener from summit for cheap, or go with steeda.

Steeda is usually spendy but the quality shows.

My first set was bbk and they ate belts, you won't have any charging problems, if ur hard on it and idling my lights will occasionally flicker a little, but only at idle with all the lights on, defrost, heater, and of course the stereo blairing.

Edit: I didn't do the traction lock when I installed mine myself at 112000 miles. Yours should be fine, and I'm dying to upgrade to a 33spline posi too =D

You shouldn't need it, and if u ever want an elocker or diff axles I would definatly recommend doing those things down the road.

Infact building a diff out of the car, slowly over time with the parts u really want can b a killer learning experience. U can usually find a used housing on craigslist for $50 =D

Depending on what ur goals r, I recommend to always start with

1 cai
2 make it shift, short throw/tuner etc
3 gears, make it usable
4 exhaust, make it fun to drive

From there go with what u feel u enjoy more, handling? More power? Better response? Better looks? Comfort? Whatever fits ur style. Be realistic or ull f urself.

Last edited by ezking; 02-22-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Are you spinning a lot out of first? How fast are you going through first gear? The thing that worries me a little w/4:10 is how fast it goes by. With a FI car it seems like you're done with first in barely 1 second. Little easier to "manage" if you have an auto.
it's not so much 1st that's super short but the other gears, especially 2-3,3-4 and then OD if it's engaged is super long ( from a vid I seen anyways ) 1st looks almost as long as stock actually, could be wrong. Without a higher stall converter it 1st doesn't really spin the tires unless I didn't hold down the brake hard enough, I am guessing it'll be the same with the 4.10s unless I launch from idle and just floor it.

I seen an auto launch with 4.10s.. it's insane lol. I just hope it dosen't feel like i hit a brick wall at 100mph or so after running out of gear! Doh!

Quick Reply: Gear Questions, need some opinions