Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Questions about NOS kit and Tuners......

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
I have an '05 GT with just a few bolt-ons (Pypes Violater Mufflers and K&N CAI). I work for Advance Auto Parts and I'm in the process for saving up for a Nos kit. For only $500 with my employee discount, I figured it's an amazing deal for such a high increase in power. My only question is, how big of a shot is recommended for use on a stock motor with no internal forged work without causing engine damage? I'm probably only going to use the NOS at the track once a month and maybe only 2-3 times off the track while getting on to the highway.
About Tuners, I don't nessisarily want to drop an excess of $300+ on one when I'm basically only going to download a few tunes and therefore wouldnt really use it again unless a future modification would require one or if i ever decided to erase them due to any sort of problem (MIL, etc...). So my question is, if I find someone who has a tuner (the one that plugs in to the OBDII port incase theres any question about which type of tuner I'm talking about), could I use their tuner to download tunes on to my car if they either drive a different year or a V6 mustang, or even an entire different car altogether as long as their vehicle has OBDII so that I can plug mine in? I just don't want to spend so much money on a tuner when first of all, I'm saving for a NOS kit, and second, I'd download a few tunes and then simply set the tuner aside for months.....

If you have someone that knows how to custom tune S197s and someone else's handheld you can get a custom tune put on your car using ther tuner and the tuner can unlock the handlheld and both cars can use it.

I suggest you have your own tuner. This would give you the ability to adjust parameters such as gearing, new tunes etc. Without you would have a hard time doing anything different.

You can run a 75 shot safely with your car bone stock. If you go beyond the 75 range you run the risk of meling the stock plugs or detonation using the same amount of timing. So the handheld is now needed again.

Before you get the nitrous, you should have a CAi and a tuner. NX makes a great plate for our cars that is much better than the typical fogger nozzle.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM
ezking
1st Gear Member

Americanmuscle.com

You should be able to get a tuner with the laptop hookups and free tunes for life at about 350. Tuners r extremely useful.

Most tuners vin lock to a car, and cannot be used on another until the first car is returned to a stock tune.

Custom tunes 4 life will pull more out of every upgrade, and make huge differences on things like auto trannys, tb n plenum upgrades, gears, heads, and cams.

As far as nos, I wouldn't recommend using it at all without all the failsafes, wot switch etc. The look on someones face is horrifying when they r trying to feel the pull and instead feel melting pistons, and its very very easy to do.

+1 on a 75 shot on stock engines, for starting out. If u go quality have some experience and all the proper failsafes u could run a 100shot, but confidence is what I want out of my car personally. A cheap 125 shot is one of the reasons I find so many great used parts on craigslist for so damn cheap.

I'm not sure of ur mods, but a nos shouldn't really be one of ur first 5 performance upgrades. =D

Nos is from fast and the furious, nitrous is what u put in a mustang. Happy juicing.