Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What GEARS to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

NUKE, what did u mean when u said my car will be impounded soon anyway??? lol
Old 02-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
yeah, i would love to get the Stage3 Saleen, but my only problem is the lack of $$$$$$$..........back to the gears though, why should i not go any higher than a 4.10 set in my situation? What dictates appropiate gears and ones that i shouldnt get? I'm new to the gear stuff so I'm not fully educated on it all yet.....
The higher the gear ratio, the higher your engine RPM at every speed. If you go on the highway, you're probably doing 60+ mph. With to high a gear, your engine will be at 3000+ rpm in top gear. Not good for gas mileage or the engine.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

He means that if you are trying to race every ricer on the streets of NOVA, you are going to run into the POPO and get your pony sent to the corral. Where are you in Northern Virginia? You can go to Summerduck (1/8 mile track off of route 17), Capital Raceway (18 in DC), or MRI at Budd's Creek (1/4 mile over the Harry Nice bridge across the Potomac into MD) for some legal racing. What are you driving so I know what to look for on my daily ride up and down I-95?

If you are actually going to go with N2O and are still running your stock tires, you may want to go 3.90 or below on the gears or you will just smoke your tires through the gears.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chwithad
NUKE, what did u mean when u said my car will be impounded soon anyway??? lol
Sorry. Your original post led me to imagine some irresponsible kid smoking the tires and fishtailing on crowded streets while attempting to race every ricer he could find. I frown on street racing (although I WILL show my cars ***** on the strret on the right occasions) and applaude the LEO's that ticket and impound cars from dangerous drivers.

Back to gears... The gears you chose should be based on what your intent is and how you'll be driving (% highway vs % city) plus what other mods you intend to install. 4.10's or higher are a poor choice if you do any highway where you'll be cruising at more than 60-65 MPH. Although 4.10's will definately make the car quicker, you'll be shifting your azz off from traffic light to traffic light.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

cool. Thanks a lot everyone for ur input.....but just to clarify things, I never street race. I know the consequences of street racing and I don't want anyone to think I cruise through downtown in excess of 40mph. Only a month after getting my 05', i got a reckless driving ticket. But listen to this, i was waiting at a red light on Route 7 West towards Ashburn. Once the light turned green, the car in front of me was driving rediculously slow. I was about to pass it, but there was a car in my blind spot, so i couldnt. I inched up a bit and passed the slow car in front of me. Unfortunately, there was a sheriff behind me to my left. He immediately pulled me over, claimed i was "tailgaiting" and continued with searching me AND my vehicle. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "tailgaiting" when you ride someones bumper for at least a distance of 50-10 yards? I dunno, seemed like total B.S. to me. After going to court, paying a total of around $350.00, and taking an entire day of a driving class (), I swore to myself that even though i believe i wasn't doing anything wrong the day of my ticket, I will NEVER street race; only on the track legally. The popo in Loudoun County and Leesburg especially are too much of dicks to horse-around even the slightest bit. What do u all think of my reckless ticket? B.S.? Any similar tickets???
Old 02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

sounds like a b.s. ticket to me. but you know how the popo can be. could have just been having a bad day and wanted to take it out on someone.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

lol I HIGHLY doubt it, but it's possible lol. Sorry to go off topic a lil here, but is there a good "How-to" with pictures on how to change the fuel filter on an 05+ Mustang GT? I'm about to change mine in a few minutes and a good ol' how-to would be great.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Although 4.10's will definately make the car quicker, you'll be shifting your azz off from traffic light to traffic light.
Just start off in second gear.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Damn it, Riptide.. You and those avatars. How th f**k am I supposed to concentrate at worK??? LOL!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

456's are way to much gear. Your power band will be way to short. And unless you have drag tires on they will be useless. You will have no traction. Also, if you do take it to the 1/4 mile track you will have to use 5th gear, which is not good. There is a reason why almost everyone who gets gears gets 410's. 430's would be to much let alone 456's.

Quick Reply: What GEARS to choose?