Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

what did your forged bottom end cost you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i found a machine shop by me,in plant city. guy i talked to knows alot about the modular engine. cost is a HUGE factor. it took me eight months to fund the turbo kit, got to drive it for a whopping week,lol,so im looking to spend as little as possible but make sure its rock solid.i still have to get the engine out of the car,should be pretty easy but i need a hoist of somekind.more than likley ill be replacing: pistons,rods,crank and oil pump (rings and bearings).machine shop want to take a look at it before they give me a quote.im not in a big hurry to get the motor out cause i still have to come up with $2k for the parts.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

You could do what i did and rent a hoist. I rented it from a nationwide tool rental place called sunbelt rentals. Cost me 23 dollars for a half day rental or you can pay 30 for a 24 hour rental. I just rented it for half a day took the motor out and then rented it for another half day to put it back in. Ended up costing me like 56 dollars when all said and done.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

8 months to fund the kit and then 1 week of driving.

Dude...

LAME
Old 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

Dude...

LAME

LOL, tell me about it...i had it tuned for 450hp becuase that was the "safe" spot, then the wastegate creeped and kaboom.so new wastegate will be going in as well.

i admit though, at 450hp for 1 week i already knew i was going to need more power to be truley happy
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure some people will ever be happy until they strap a rocket engine on the car.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

lol! looks like the grace period is over....now
it's no holds barred....

i'm not gonna make fun of you, because the same
exact thing could happen to my engine, the
next time i take it out for a sunday drive.

Originally Posted by Riptide

Dude...

LAME
Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Of all the scary things to happen... first we worry about the spark plugs...now its the pistons and crankshaft. I've been wondering when I should go forged but have a very conservative tune. Really, it seems its never to early to go forged on a FI car. I've been looking at prices also and wondered...Do we need to replace the crankshaft? Its usually the pistons and rods that break, but I haven't heard of the crankshaft breaking yet. Does anyone know if we can save a few bucks and not replace the crankshaft? just thinking here...
Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Crank is good to 700hp. I read that somewhere on here today not sure which thread.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

what gets everyone into trouble is they wait until there is a problem to go forged-including my self. if you did it while all the stock parts are still ok then it would costyou half the price,using you existing crank,block and heads.

i may be lucky because i trailered my car home afterit happened and i have not driven the car since. im hopeing my crank is OK. so i can reuse it.

its much cheaper to swap rods and pistons than to buy a whole new engine, cause once a rod actually breaks you are screwed, thing come apart and hit everything in thier way.

ill know if my crank is good or not this weekend.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

one eyed, did the piston go thru your engine wall? If it did, you are so lucky. in the blown engines i've seen, the wall will bust open when the rod hits it.

Quick Reply: what did your forged bottom end cost you?