Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger Gauge Readdings ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default Supercharger Gauge Readdings ?

I didn't buy gauges just for looks, but need some education on what the heck I am looking at. I did a "fast" record today on both scan gauges at the same time, and what you see below are in sync with each other. Some questions come to my mind, hoping you all can advise.

I understood that while under heavy acceleration/boost, the fuel pressure should be up over the idle or cruising reading of my normal 39. Seems here it dropped into mid/hi 20's under acceleration, and went up when letting off the gas. Did have a few times that it was up, but a couple quick glances at the A/F gauge thru the run showed lean, I did catch a reading of 12. While i wasn't watching fuel pressure last week under some runs, I was watching the A/F and thought most times under heavy acceleration it went toward the rich side, and lean when I let off. so, should I be concerned?

Notice the 500+ HP readings. While I know this Saleen SS kit should not be over 500, I will say that running the gauges all last summer before i went FI, I never saw the gauge read over 300.

And one more, a boost question. I am guessing my gauge is not reading correctly, since I saw close to 9 psi, and Brenspeed said I should see 6.5 to 7 at most. If I turn the ignition on without starting the car, it does read zero though.

If it matters, it was about 20 degrees F today.

Left gauge---------Right Gauge
Boost--------------Pedal Position %
Fuel Pres-----------HP

Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 12-05-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

did you go with BAP or GT500 pumps? sounds like either one is not working properly. that would give you the low fuel pressure. After my install, i noticed the same thing where fuel pressure would drop during acceleration and pick up after i let off the gas. It turned out I forgot to adjust the BAP to max. that quickly solved everything.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
did you go with BAP or GT500 pumps? sounds like either one is not working properly. that would give you the low fuel pressure. After my install, i noticed the same thing where fuel pressure would drop during acceleration and pick up after i let off the gas. It turned out I forgot to adjust the BAP to max. that quickly solved everything.
No upgrade to pump at all, Brenspeed doesn't add anything to their kits until you get to a stage 3 on the Saleen, and when I asked them about it said it wasn't needed. The car seems to run fine, just had concerns that in the long term it could be causing a better chance of engine damage.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info Bruce, will check it out.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

brenspeed said you don't need a BAP on 9psi? that's strange. I have the stage 3 that puts out about 9-10psi and I use a BAP. I think at the very least, a BAP is recommened over stock pumps
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure what is going on there, but the fuel pressure dropping doesn't seem right. I've recorded my fuel pressure using the aeroforce gauge and it steadily increases and then jumps to 70 for a split second when I let off.

Did Brenspeed do the install? What is your vacuum at idle? I would contact brenspeed about the fuel pressure, it should not be that low at wide open throttle.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-03-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Are you an auto or manual? Did you get the car dyno tuned?

The most HP i've recorded is 549. Next time record your MAF lbs/min. I record my MAF readings and got 63.23 lbs/min and 543hp, that's the highest MAF reading i've seen on my car.

Last edited by moosestang; 03-03-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah it would seem the fuel pressure should stay up there until you let off the gas, and it could then spike up afterwards. Seeing your fuel pump duty cycle would help tell us if your pump is getting max'd out, too (just a suggestion).
Old 03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

+1 on recording the duty cycle, but I think there's a vacuum problem or a problem with the stock fuel pressure sensor.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Gauge Readdings ?