Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Mutha Thumpr cam review

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
rakkassan34

Default ***** Thumpr cam review

Here's my review of Comp Cams ***** Thumpr cams
Price $845 with phaser limiters and 3tunes(tunes were free because I was a returning customer)Bamachips
$35.00 for two cam phaser bolts
Only special tool I had to purchase was a torque wrench, instead of buying an inchpound wrench and ftpound wrench I just converted the inchpounds to footpounds on the cam caps which is only 7ftlbs
Instead of the timing chain wedge I used a rubber hose and ziptied the chain up to keep tension on it while I installed the phaser limiters.
I simply removed the cam and none of the followers fell. To install I mashed the cam into place with one hand and put caps on with the other.
If you already don't know I had a bad cam phaser. The three tension pins were chewed up on the drivers side causing me to throw a P0345 code. I can't afford a new cam phaser so I drilled out the old holes and put one size larger tension pins in to repair the cam phaser cost 45cents.
Total installation took me 5hrs from open hood to fire car up excluding the cam phaser repair. I spent way too much time trying to find the correct position for the cams. I swear there's no timing mark on my balancer so I turned the engine over until the fewest amount of valves were open.

The car is louder now for some reason but it sounds badass. It's a little more difficult to drive at first. Have to give the car a little more gas when taking off. At lower rpm's the car will buck if not in a low enough gear. I should have got 4.30's instead of 4.10's. When in gear and I let off the gas the engine don't slow down the car as much as it used to, probably the result of alot of overlap on the cams.

My car in daily driving used to get 17MPG now I get 12
I have yet to run it on the track or dyno but the butt dyno says it's got more in it
I am totally satisfied with the cams and love driving my car alot more now.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Cool that you didn't need to buy the expensive special tools.

I'm not going to buy them either. My FRPP cams will be installed at my uncle's shop in Houston and either he'll have something that works or can get the tools from a friend of his.

Losing 5 MPG doesn't seem right. Most who get Thumprs or Hot Rods either don't lose any or a few made MPG gains. Losing that much after getting a s/c'er is understandable if you "try it out" a bunch. But mild cams shouldn't kill the MPG that bad.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 AM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Rakkassan34, do you have any video or sound clips? I would love to hear how it sounds on your car.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
rakkassan34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUkyxFR9TCs

Yep sure do. If you want a before vid go to youtube and search rakkassan34.

by far my fav mod so far. I love sitting at stoplights now
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Damn that sounds sick.

I just can't get enough of that lope.

So what kind of driving do you do? Is it mostly city, mix city and highway, ...?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Love that sound and I don't want to add to the millions of mods I want now....but the bug bites and bites hard!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the ***** Thumpr club. Sounds great.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

wow 12mpg with the tune? Or are you exaggerating a little bit?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:45 AM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

Sounds real good! Great job.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Losing 5 MPG doesn't seem right. Most who get Thumprs or Hot Rods either don't lose any or a few made MPG gains.

I'd like to know more abou tthat too. I think I want cams at some point, probably FRPP. I'd hate to see a big mpg drop.

Quick Reply: Mutha Thumpr cam review