Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Start-up Issue...Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

damn, what's up with 08s and start up issues? mine was acting up in the past few months as well. A tune fixed it up though. battery was also nearly dead before I put a new one in...
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Is it still under warranty. If so you shouldn't have to figure out whats wrong with it, that should be the job of the dealership that is honoring the warranty. just my 2cents, If they say there is nothing wrong go to a diff dealer and get another opinion. And good luck on getting it running right.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

yea, its still warrantied. But I like to know what I'm dealing with ahead of time if possible.

Little update: Got out of work, car fired right up. Came home. Took a long drive to burn up some gas, then filled it up with about 10 gals of Chevron 93. Came home. Started it up again and its fine. Lets see how it goes tomorrow morning.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Good to hear, hopefully that fixed it for you.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

ha. Spoke too soon. Went out this morning to start the car and it did it again. No as bad, but definitely still there.

It seems it does crank over at first but the RPMS just never get going. It doesn't even seem to read them its so low and it just rumbles a little and then picks up fine. Really weird.

And again, driving is fine. No issues. I did keep all the electronics off last night and during start up.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeepNGLI
ha. Spoke too soon. Went out this morning to start the car and it did it again. No as bad, but definitely still there.

It seems it does crank over at first but the RPMS just never get going. It doesn't even seem to read them its so low and it just rumbles a little and then picks up fine. Really weird.

And again, driving is fine. No issues. I did keep all the electronics off last night and during start up.
Drive the car out to a shop. Have the battery load tested. Complain to the dealer that the problem still persists. However, I believe the battery is considered a normal wear & tear item so warranty may not cover it. Be sure to check with the dealer. If not, most auto parts stores will do free load testing for you, but the courtesy is to buy a battery from them.

Other than that, I think your car is fine.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'll put money on it NOT being the battery since it's cranking and kicking over. Is it doing this ONLY on a cold start?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 PM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Drive the car out to a shop. Have the battery load tested. Complain to the dealer that the problem still persists. However, I believe the battery is considered a normal wear & tear item so warranty may not cover it. Be sure to check with the dealer. If not, most auto parts stores will do free load testing for you, but the courtesy is to buy a battery from them.

Other than that, I think your car is fine.
As long as your still under the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty they should cover it, my wife's Ford edge had the battery take a crap and they replaced it free of charge. along with the tail light
Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the delay. Yes, it only does it on cold starts. It is not impinging on my driving so I'm not too worried about it doing harm engine wise. Everything is great after the initial cold start. Here's the update to what happened this weekend:

Brought the car in on Saturday to the dealer. They scanned the ECU and there were no codes whatsoever. They tested the battery and it was dead. They said it was very weak but still enough to start. They replaced the battery with a new one(96 something I think was the part number). I went home.

Sunday the car did it again a little bit but I wasn't sure. I went to the auto store and got some MAF cleaner. Cleaned out the MAF, let it dry, reset the battery, put the MAF back in. I was also very low on gas so I filled it up with BP 93 and put in a bottle of Chevron Techron. Yesterday the car started up fine no issue.

Today, however, the car start up terrible. It did the same thing. Very weak initial idle at first(couple of seconds of stubbling until the RPMs jump up to about 1000).

I'm going to leave it at the dealership on Friday night so that Saturday morning they can get a cold start out of it. Any other suggestions? They are a very good dealership and have never given me a hard time with anything. They we're convinced it was the fuel pump. Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Whenever the battery is replaced the ECU has to re-learn the idle strategy. There's a procedure in the battery section of owner's manual for expediting the ECU's re-learning process.

Quick Reply: Start-up Issue...Any ideas?