Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Start-up Issue...Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

Default Start-up Issue...Any ideas?

The car was parked at the airport for a few days this weekend. Monday, I got in the car in the morning, turned it over and left. Put some Sunooco in it as I left the airport. So the next morning(Tuesday) I went to start the car in the morning. It was a little colder than lately and raining(pretty damp out). I turned the key and as I did it seemed to turn over except that the RPMS would not pick up. It just kind of sputtered for a a few seconds(while still turning the key) and then finally jump up to where it should be. It did yesterday a little and this morning a lot. I thought at first it may not start today but then turned over.

Now, my first instinct it the battery. Its a new car, but it was a left over(2008) and had been sitting in a showroom for almost a year. On top of that, almost every mustang I test drove seemed to have battery issues(including dying on me), I'm assuming from just sitting there. I know these cars are battery hogs.

NOTE: There are no hicups or any issues while driving. Its just on start up. But again, its not your typical "battery dead and all you get is a little clicking" deal. It seems to fire up but then can't really fully turnover.

The Ford Dealer just sent someone over to check the battery and they said it was fine. It was fine when the car was off, a little weak upon startup, and then fine when running. It DID NOT do anything like I said above when I went to start it. It was fine.

Any ideas?? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did they do a load test on it with a bonified battery load tester.
Batteries look OK until put to the load test. Thats when the weak
are culled out from the strong.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

They came out with a hand-held tester of some kind. They hooked it up with the car off and got a reading. Said it was fine. Told me to start it up. Upon start up they said it was a little week. Then they checked it while it was running and said it was fine. Because of these three tests, they determined it was fine. They are a very good dealer and wouldn't rip me off of a new battery. However, I am still skeptical about the battery being fine.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeepNGLI
The car was parked at the airport for a few days this weekend. Monday, I got in the car in the morning, turned it over and left. Put some Sunooco in it as I left the airport. So the next morning(Tuesday) I went to start the car in the morning. It was a little colder than lately and raining(pretty damp out). I turned the key and as I did it seemed to turn over except that the RPMS would not pick up. It just kind of sputtered for a a few seconds(while still turning the key) and then finally jump up to where it should be. It did yesterday a little and this morning a lot. I thought at first it may not start today but then turned over.

Now, my first instinct it the battery. Its a new car, but it was a left over(2008) and had been sitting in a showroom for almost a year. On top of that, almost every mustang I test drove seemed to have battery issues(including dying on me), I'm assuming from just sitting there. I know these cars are battery hogs.

NOTE: There are no hicups or any issues while driving. Its just on start up. But again, its not your typical "battery dead and all you get is a little clicking" deal. It seems to fire up but then can't really fully turnover.

The Ford Dealer just sent someone over to check the battery and they said it was fine. It was fine when the car was off, a little weak upon startup, and then fine when running. It DID NOT do anything like I said above when I went to start it. It was fine.

Any ideas?? Thanks.
The factory batteries are crap, but with that said I still have the orginal battery in my car and its an 06. It will lose its charge if the car sits 4 or 5 days, but if I drive it regularly then I have no issues.

Is this the first time you have gotten gas from that station? The gas could be bad, when I had some bad gas in my car it was very hard to start, pumped the gas out, put new gas in and no problems.

If you have a custom tune try reloading it if you have not done that lately.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Despite my concurrence regarding the stock batteries being garbage, your problem doesn't sound like a battery issue. If the battery is cranking the engine and it begins to start or starts but sputters, it's more of a fuel delivery or ignition problem IMO. And since it began with the tank of gas you got at the airport, I'd suggest you refill at or below 1/2 tank with some known fresh gas of the next octane above your normal octane just to rule out a bad tank of gas before doing anything else.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

I agree. I have about 1/2 a tank right now. The gas that was in there was 93 octane. I was going to fill it up with gas from a place that I go to often tonite. Should I put a bottle of Dry Gas or Injector cleaner in it?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

DO NOT put any additives in. For whatever reason, our 4.6L's are notorious for acting up with additives. If it's the gas, you should notice better cold starting the next day. If the problem is resolved, a bottle of Techron or SeaFoam won't hurt. I run Techron at about every oil change (8,000 - 10,000 miles).

Why are you using 93 octane? Are you tuned for it? If not, you won't see any performance gain unless you're driving the Bullitt which I THINK can adjust for different octanes.

Last edited by Nuke; 04-16-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
JeepNGLI
1st Gear Member

Isn't the Techron a fuel additive?

I was actually going to go fill up with Chevron which has Techron in it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Agree with Nuke. Two fuel delivery problems that can cause sputtering on start up are a leaking fuel injector, or a faulty fuel pump check valve.
Also, I'm surprised that dealer didn't charge your battery if they said it was weak.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeepNGLI
Isn't the Techron a fuel additive?

I was actually going to go fill up with Chevron which has Techron in it.
Yes it is, but Techron and SeaFoam (and I'm sure a few others) seem to fare just fine in our engines. There have been problems with octane boosters and other additives. The specifics escape me...

Quick Reply: Start-up Issue...Any ideas?