Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Just Order Comp Cams NSR Stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm... Let me see if I have this straight:

WhiteFlash has a Predator and needs a SCT.

SirKnight has an SCT and needs a Predator.

Geez, there must be someway both of these Mustang owners can have their way....

:-)
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG

Also, it's retarted to think choosing a cam for sound is rice. Changing mufflers does NOTHING to performance (unless you're making 600+) but only changes the sound. My Boomtubes changed the sound A LOT but did nothing for performance. So damn, I'm guess I'm riced out.
Add me to the riced out crew with my Flows and Hot Rods

There is a great article in MM&FF about header size and how they work with engine. Learned a lot about why cams like the Hot Rods need long tubes to realize their full potential. Like was stated previous, if the cams aren't your first mod you will never really know how the other factors influence the power #'s. If you already have Long Tubes and CAI you are gonna see biggger gains with Hot Rods and Thumprs than if you were stock. Kind of the same theory with all mods, but especially true with cams and long tubes. Why do you thing Ford Racing only quotes #'s with LT headers!!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bonestang
There is a great article in MM&FF about header size and how they work with engine.
What issue?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

I just picked it up at the store this weekend. Probably the newest one. Has a blue GT500 on the cover painted like the old GT-40s.

The article is about 3 different sized American Racing LT headers on a hopped up 5.4. Talks some about header theory.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:34 AM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

June 2009. Got it right in front of me. Don't know how I missed that article.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:28 PM
rivercitymike

Have been out of town a couple of days. I see some have taken my comment about getting cams for sound over performance, ie., the FRPP Hot Rod cams, as "ricer" mentality. A couple of posters have tried to include changing mufflers as "ricer" as well. However, with mufflers, there's no performance gain, only sound. So one muffler is as good as another. It's a matter of taste. But when two respected tuners and vendors of aftermarket parts for our cars say the Comp NSR Stage Two cams are better than FRPP Hot Rod cams for performance, I listen. Tillman Speed has nothing to gain by trying to sell one brand of cam over another. In Fact the FRPP Hot Rods are more expensive than the Comp NSR Stage Two's. BTW, the "ricer" Magnaflows I have are the only muffler I found that quites my o/r exhaust set-up (again, for performance gains, not sound) enough to keep the police of my tail, here in the **** emission state of California, LOL.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rivercitymike
But when two respected tuners and vendors of aftermarket parts for our cars say the Comp NSR Stage Two cams are better than FRPP Hot Rod cams for performance, I listen.
Yep, you would be dumb not to. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the Comps to get a little more performance plus the sound. I still love the Hot Rods though.

As for the ricer comments, just being sarcastic. Ricers do a lot of the same things as we do: CAI, Exhaust w/ 4" tips, headers, etc... Seems like its more about the car and engine that defines a ricer. But I'm not an expert in ricer theory so don't hold me to any of this
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Yep, you would be dumb not to. If I were to do it again I would probably go with the Comps to get a little more performance plus the sound. I still love the Hot Rods though.

As for the ricer comments, just being sarcastic. Ricers do a lot of the same things as we do: CAI, Exhaust w/ 4" tips, headers, etc... Seems like its more about the car and engine that defines a ricer. But I'm not an expert in ricer theory so don't hold me to any of this
Very true considering the fact that some of the over the top body kits and styling available for the Mustang, although some might disagree, the rear end of the Saleen Extreme would be a prime example.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Geeeez , Please Don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to cause a problem here and I'm really not questioning whether or not the Comp Stage 2's are better or give you more HP then the HotRods. I'm sure they are, and will ..!! For me, it's the statement.... Quote, " I know, there are guys claiming as much as twenty-five HP increases with HotRod Cams. Unfortunately, this is not true " that I find most unfair...!!!

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 05-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
zimmyzoom

Default All hands on deck

I have installed the FRPP cams and I am totally satisfied. They are also a no springs required. You do not need to change the cam phasers because there is enought piston clearance. If you bought springs required cams you will need new cam phasers to limit the retard on the cams so the valves wont hit the pistons. But you will need 2 new cam phaser bolts everytime you put new cams or you will be sorry, Ask my brother. And also with any new cam, a hand held tuner has it's limits, the best thing to do is get a custom tune on a dyno because hand held tuners can't tell the PCM to retard the cams like the need to be, and so forth. I LOVE MY FRPP's but comp cams are also good too, but I would go with the springs required, if you are gonna do that much work, get the best stuff. I installed my cams myself in about 4 hours, but get the right tool so you don't lose your timing or you will have to take the front engine cover off.

Quick Reply: Just Order Comp Cams NSR Stage 2